Where to find magnets???For Diy Planar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody know of a supplier for the exact kind of magnets used in magnepan speakers??? I have looked all over and have found suppliers for other kinds of magnets, but not the exact same kind that are used in the magnepans.. Any help??? So far I have posted this message in other forums and no one seems to know where to get these and just give me a link to a "generic" magnet supplier So any help in finding a supplier (besides magnepan) for the exact magnets magnepan uses would be appreciated

Scrap yard or refigeration supply

You can sort through a metal scrap yard and pull off all the plastiform magnets off of fridge and freezer doors. You will find though that most of these flat plastiform magnets are multi pole types (side by side poles of n/s/n/s etc.) and you want single one pole per surface types. They are out there and you can find them. You could save the troouble at more expense and look at the refrigeration supply /repair shops and purchase the magnet that you need. Magnet supply shops can also help but will probably be more expensive than the refrigeration supply shops. good luck and have fun. Remember that Google is your friend. Regards Moray James.

I haven't looked closely at Magnapans since the early '70s, so I don't know what they are using nowadays, but the first item that showed up on a Google search was

http://www.custom-magnets.com/Adhesive_Magnetic_Strips.htm

which should prove woorth investigating.

I seem to remember some tie between early Magnapan products and a 3M product, but those brain cells have long since faded into oblivion.

I once considered to build a planar with air filter paper and with neodymium platelets available at Ebay. But I don`t know whether it works.

Attachments

• maggie.jpg
    maggie.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 431
From my experience I would suggest to stay away from fridge magnets or plastic magnets. They are usually quite weak and will probably give a poor result.

What type of magnets Maggies use I can't tell for sure..it's a while since I last owned a pair, but i do remember that the MG 0.6/1.5 had very slim ones. Not that wide or deep. I don't know what kind of design you'll be using them for, but a completely different magnet might work better in your case.

In most Apogees they used much bigger magnets that were roughly 10mm thick and 20mm wide with lengths of 40-70mm, judging from pictures. This for bass. For the tweeter section a bit thicker ones or then thinner ones stacked.

The magnets you could look for should probably be magnetized through one "side" to get a stronger magnetic field. Ferrite or Neodymium. Neodym magnets are much smaller and stronger, but also more expensive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.