B&G Neo8 Measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, Off axis measurements (30 and 60 degree angle)is to me important part when designing speaker, every situation.Even if it is small 2-way or tall 3-way and typical 1"dome and 4-6" low/mid cone.Bigger than 6" i use waveguides to domes to handle side response.

Jeroenkv:Looks great.More information about that(measurements)?

So you think that Neo 8 is worth it?;)

hey Samppo

Passive? what did you use for an XO? Active? What XO slopes and freqs? I can go either way because I already have the amps, etc.

How about a decription or pic of the Neo "baffle?" Pardon my ignorance, I don't know exactly what open baffle means.

I'm researching using a Neo 8 in an MTM with 7"s*, plus subs**, in a Home Theatre app. 3*** as described. Left, center, & right, active; rears, and eventually sides, TM, passive. When I have all 5 channels working to my satisfaction and if 7 channel HT takes hold of the market I'll up grade my SSP and build 2 more passives.

* elsewhere in this forum
** active, in use for 15 years
*** I have a Rotel 5 ch SSP; at least that's what I'd like to do

thanks

tony

Tony, i've been using the Neo8 with a behringer dcx-2496 active crossover. Crossover points have varied all the way from 1000-1500hz with different slopes, it's so easy to experiment with the dcx.
Now I'm using them at 1200hz with 12 db filtering. In the beginning i also tried a waveguide for the front beam, but it didn't really work that time, but i'm going to try it again soon with some better horn shape.

Open baffle (or dipole) means having no box - the driver is only attached at the top and bottom and open at the sides and back. Sorry have no picture at the moment.

gp4jesus: good you asked, my error - open baffle criteria is that a speaker driver can freely distribute sound to the front and back, without any enclosure at the back trapping the sound. It's only in my configuration the Neo8 is fastened at the top and bottom.
If you want pure dipole function the front baffle can't be too wide - especially going higher up in frequency.

The Neo10 could be an interesting driver, there's just not much information about it. As far as i know, it's not for sale as a separate driver

gp4Jesus said:
so I could attach* it to the front baffle of my enclosure?!
*unglamourously with 4 screws (LOLLOLLOL)

of course the response will be affected. any speculation?

on the Neo 10: you say not much info available. I'd go some extreme to get it.

Thanks

Tony

I am new to this group. Last I heard from BG, they are keeping the Neo 10 in house.

For the last few years I have been working (on the side) with the companies that make the largest push-pull magnetic-planar drivers available (some even bigger than the Neo 10), trying to bring then to the specialty live-sound market.

FPS of Japan www.fps-inc.co.jp has just released the latest upgrade of their FPS1030(M3F1R1) 6x14" planar drivers. I should get my hands on the 1st. pair brought into the country in a few days. They also make 10x14" planar drivers. I have spec sheets, but I will just attach a photo of a small FPS planar driver (exploded) for now.

I have been working on MTM speaker designs based on these med. and large planar drivers as the mid. drivers (& planar HF from any of several other sources), as well as designs based on planar drivers from the other leading sources.

Attachments

• fps exploded.jpg
    fps exploded.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,061
Daveis said:
Ears,

How did you get your hands on some samples? Are they expensive?

Had a chance to compare those FPS1030(M3F1R1) to any of the BG's drivers (Neo or RD series)?

I do contract consulting and marketing work for some of these driver companies.

The samples are in a few locations right now. I should have them all in the same room to compare by month end.

I will post more on the FPS planar drivers in a new thread.

I'd be surprised. According to BG they're available in limited quantities for $100 each. But I've been trying to get some for the past couple months with no luck.

Parts Express has the regular Neo8 back in stock though so, barring a surprise phone call from BG, I'll be getting a pair of those and measuring them for distortion and phase as well as SPL. I've been looking around and so far only found SPL data for the Neo8. Not terribly interesting as one can get that much from the datasheet and whitepapers.

I'd be surprised. According to BG they're available in limited quantities for $100 each. But I've been trying to get some for the past couple months with no luck.

Parts Express has the regular Neo8 back in stock though so, barring a surprise phone call from BG, I'll be getting a pair of those and measuring them for distortion and phase as well as SPL. I've been looking around and so far only found SPL data for the Neo8. Not terribly interesting as one can get that much from the datasheet and whitepapers.

According to Chris, the Engr. BG, the Neo8S is really a high-eff. mid-range planar (HF very peaked). I am a BG dealer & have been asking for a Neo8S, w/no luck… DK

According to Chris, the Engr. BG, the Neo8S is really a high-eff. mid-range planar (HF very peaked). I am a BG dealer & have been asking for a Neo8S, w/no luck… DK
Thanks; nice to know it's not just me. As the 8 has a ~10dB peak at 12kHz and gets somewhat ragged above 4kHz I'd consider to also be a midrange---the form factor's only really suitable for use as a tweeter in a line array. From my conversations with BG it seems the 8S should be similar to the 8, but with 3dB higher sensitivity from larger magnets and lower distortion due to the use of the pleated diaphragm.

Personally I'm mainly interested in whether the pleats increase the usuable excursion enough for the 8S to be worth the extra USD 38. From what I've read the 8 is good to 750Hz or so in point source designs (still don't have any as Parts Express was back out of stock by the time I got the rest of the order together; Meniscus has them but I'm in no great hurry) but I've some applications where it'd be nice to cross lower.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.