Bigggest Complement EVER

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Martin Logan reference system and last week I had my in-laws over for a few days. We popped a movie in and it didn't have much in the area of surround sound untill...

There was scene with glass shattering.

Now, my rear right speaker sits next to a window that has a fire escape.

When the "Movie" window busted, my sister in law jumped off of the couch scared to death thinking that someone just broke the window behind her!

She kept saying..."that sounded so real".

She knew about the speaker there and was obviously watching the movie and still thought it was a real sound.

It makes me feel pretty good!
Does anyone else have a story like this?

Dominick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, I have two rear speakers on each channel in a 5.1 system, stacked, mounted to the wall over the couch, with no means of holding the upper speakers in place, just sitting there on top. The first time one of them fell, the victim, after recovering, said "wow that felt real" and they were right.

I've never had anything as spectacular as your story but it is nice when something like that happens isn't it?

I think that electrostatics do an excellent job of having sounds just pop out of nowhere. Ever since some recent upgrades to my system, including the Acoustats (turned my model IIs into 1 + 1s), the cat has been constantly chasing after sounds from them. She's been around my stereo for years, but never did this before, so I'll take that as a compliment!:)

I was watching a movie a few days ago, and there was a dog bark on a gloomy night scene that sounded so real it almost scared my pants off.:bigeyes: And that's just with two channel sound, if I ever get 5 channel Acoustats set up the cat is really going to be in for a treat. Looks like I'm gonna need to build some panels first though...

Take care,
Doug

i had that same thing happen. i think the movie for me was punch drunk love. the sound came from the right rear of the room, in the exact place where we have a sliding glass door. i paused the movie immediately and my roommate and i went to check on the door. we didnt realize it was the movie.

the second best ever (maybe first) was with terminator 2. there is a scene where they are inside the house, and you hear the dog barking in the background (when he's on the phone with the parents). my neighbors backyard is directly behind my listening room. the back wall of the room is an outside wall, and behind that is his backyard. anyways, my friends and i were getting annoyed at my neighbors dog barking. we paused the movie, went outside and yelled at the dog to shut up, it was ruining the experience. we did this 3 times. every time i yelled at the dog, it magically stopped. then i went back inside, pressed play, and there was the damn dog again! after a couple of times, i realize my neighbor doesnt have a dog, and it was just in the soundtrack.

also, i live in a small quiet little subdivision out in the boonies. and sometimes in movies there will be faint ambulance or police sirens. its funny that people always look outside when they hear them, even though its very rare to hear a police siren where i live. i always have to remind myself that the sounds of traffic or sirens are almost always just in the movie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.