Another ESL Concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the AES site this article description caught my attention.
Is there anyone here who did this already or knows if it works??

[[[6156
Mellow, Tim J.
Radiation characteristics of a concept loudspeaker are calculated both analytically and using finite element analysis. It comprises two closely spaced stretched piezoelectric membranes pushed apart by a pressurized gas. A drive voltage applied across conductive coatings on both membranes causes their tensions to vary in opposite phase and consequently the membranes are displaced in the same direction. Driven by a class D amplifier, this transducer potentially offers higher efficiency than conventional moving coil technology but with the smooth response and light weight of electrostatic devices. However, the voltage requirement is lower and the potential SPL higher than the latter. The only remaining question is whether it can be manufactured economically.
Sound Radiation from a Dual Microflim Piezoelectric Loudspeaker in Free Space]]]

(this is a quote from the AES site I hope I am not violating any copyright)

works

Hi,

After the description it should work---somehow.
But applying two out of phase signals I don´t see why the diaphragms should move in phase -of course if they would do so it would give a higher SPL over some octaves (sandwiched Dipole)- But I guess they´re rather talking about bipoles here.
To work with low distortion the driving forces should be linear, which I guess is not the case (a small cavity of pressurized gas!)
Nice Idea for Fi I assume, but is it HiFi????

jauu
Calvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.