'Biefeld-Brown effect' based full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The reason for my interest in Biefeld-Brown effect/plasma based speakers
is the tension based (amplitude related and modulated) distortion from all the conventional designs
(electrostats and ribbons included), none of them truly 'float' or move freely
(plasma based microphones for the recording industry, anyone? ;) ).

Here is a link to some Biefeld-Brown effect based projects http://jnaudin.free.fr/lifters/main.htm

Now, I could need some help with a/the solid state audio modulated power stage.

dnsey said:
As a first guess, I'd be inclined to go for pulse width modulation of the EHT generator's oscillator. Fairly easy to do, and probably more linear (in terms of the ultimate physical effect) than FM - but that's just my 'intuition'.

Seems to be a lot of interest in this ;)

The apparent mojo-factor seems to be at large d: Anyway, [I think] this is going to be big (as Bailey would have put it), eventually. Plasma microphones included (Sound is most often created by 'tension/amplitude related distortion', certainly - and with plasma technology one has the opportunity to bring that original information intact all the way).

The shape of the 'ion thrusters' is an other question.

On the PWM, couldn't we just clamp in a decent class-D (/T) module (maybe preferably one with discrete FET's) here?

Why not? Yeah.

MJ Dijkstra said:
Don't know if the Biefeld brown effect will be ever used for sound reproduction but I got really interested and will make my own 'lifter'. Thanks for the link!!!

("Why not? Yeah." - Tim Leary's last words)

If it can move ions/air it would also be able to reproduce sound
(as no other existing transducer system or method - except of course
other plasma based - none of them are plagued by resonant effects).

If concerned about the high voltages involved (other thread) - TV-sets
has had equally high voltages in them for ever.

Anyway, good to see someone more interested in working on this ;)

I think the first paragraph says it all: "is able to lift its own weight plus an additional payload". Then there are lots of pictures that show these flimsy contraptions flying, but none are able to lift the mass of their power supply. I don't know what you think, but to me, lifting its own weight better include the power supply or it's not much use.

I suspect the "thrust" comes from ionizing and accelerating air molecules (even though the author claims it doesn't). You can make a motor that spins very fast this way, but it won't move much of a load either.

You'll probably have much more success using this to produce audio than you will using it to make a flying machine.

I_F

Re: Efficacy

Indalhc said:
There should be some data available to make an estimate on its
efficiency (flying).

On a straight hand, a few milliamps of power lifting a few grammes
of weight. This doesn't sound all that unreasonable?

One of the "flying saucer" pages showed a graph of the current and voltage applied to a flying saucer toy that weighed about 6 grams. It was using 200uA at 40kV. That's 8 watts to lift 6 gm. When someone can figure out how to make a power source that provides 40kV at 200uA weigh less than 6 gms (or can scale the whole thing up) it might become practical...

I_F

I think the script provided by this link is self annulling.

It claims a relationship between high voltage and gravitation. And they propose a 100 kg heavy motor that will give a thrust of 100 N (=10 kg). So it won't lift off on it's own.
If it is making thrust by repelling gravitation, then it also means it is relying on the gravitation to provide thrust. Like a pole on a magnet relies on another same pole to repel.
In space there is very little gravitation. So not much to repel, and thus no thrust.
Another explanation is I_Forgot's theory, that the thrust comes from ionized air molecules.

Even in case I_Forgot is right in his theory, there is not enough air molecules in space to give any thrust.

In space there is very little gravitation. So not much to repel, and thus no thrust.
True, but the thrust would still be in proportion to the gravitational attraction, so the 'lift' away from the mass responsible for gravity (i.e. planet) would be the same.
Navigation might be a problem though. The craft would eventually come to rest at a position in space in equilibrium with the surrounding gravitational forces:magnet:

8 watts to lift 6 gm. Sounds very good :D

About the UFO department. I'm personally into this most for the estimated very high fidelity.

By the way - if this can be successful - I still wouldn't speak to 'outlaw' or retire
dynamic transducers altogether. Since they in many ways can be considered a part
of the instrument: What would a blues guitar be without its Music Man amp etc ...

The lifters can be fully explained by ionic wind and the conservation of momentum. Althoug many people are wanting to believe some anti-gravity effects there is no evidence of such unknown force. Unfortunately, people like Naudin (see website) are confusing people by presenting semi-scientific experiments which can be easliy proven being false. Besides this, a lifter needs some kind of mass (e.g. a membrane or cone) which repels itself from the cloud of ions. A plasma tweeter has no moving parts at all. The thrust of an electrostatic is different for positive and negative voltages, another problem.
If you want ions to make sound you should consider the plasma-tweeter.

The lifters can be fully explained by ionic wind and the conservation of momentum. Althoug many people are wanting to believe some anti-gravity effects there is no evidence of such unknown force.

I suspect that you're right.
It should be easy enough to prove one way or the other - if the effect is indeed due to gravitational repulsion, the device should show no inclination to move in any direction except away from a large mass (i.e. 'up').
If a 'lateral' version is built and works, the effect cannot be due to gravity. However, if no significant force can be measured in a lateral plane, we will have to take the claims more seriously.

So you can create a force in any direction depending on the position of the emitter wire
That's what I meant.
However, if the effect is gravity-related as claimed, movement will only be produced away from the gravitational source.
I'm sceptical, but find it interesting that a gravity research establishment (or whatever they are - I haven't checked back) have an example on demonstration.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.