Cylinder ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's an awful lot of very bold statements in such a short paragraph.

Rear fill...for an outdoor arena. Think "reflected waves" to see why this might not even be good for home theater.

The structure would have to be incredibly strong to make these at all large. And the tolerances required would be exacting. Are you a machinist or something?

If you fill the middle, what happens to the waves coming from the inside of the diaphragm? What happens to the other side when the waves come all the way across the tube?

This strikes me as a bad idea :whazzat:

But don't let that discourage you, just be aware that it will be a very great challenge.

Why not ude the backwave?

Rear speakers don't need huge amounts of bass, do they?

If you'd make a circular planar speaker, make it about 12 cm diam and 1 cmhigh or so and put it on top of a carton cylinder (ones in rolls of carpet) and make a small tl from it by closing the top off and leaving the botom open!

If you keep the height well lower than 1/4 wave of the total length, you should not bump into too much low freq resonances.

a thing tha might pose a problem at high freq:

all area is beaming it's high air pressure waves at the center, making a big high pressure "axis" in the middle. If that's not homogenous, the reflection off this axis will not spread evenly over the surface

I can't imagine wahat will happen at diam = 1/2 wavelength....you ight get a serious dip or weird behaviour

all this theoretically...

Bas

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I'm no expert on electrostatics, but I have read some articles on building them.

If they are rear speakers, I assume these would not be going below 150 Hz or so?

Because the electrostatic diaphragm is stretched tight, I don't think the electrostatics require a whole lot of space behind them to work properly. In regular electrodynamic speakers, the speakers with the softest suspensions have the greatest Vas. With the diaphragm stretched tightly like an electrostatic has, I would think the Vas would be truly negligible.

The wavelength of 20,000 Hz-the shortest wavelength you would be concerned with-is 0.675 inches. An eighth of that would be 0.08 inches. It seems to me all you would have to do is make some kind of round structure with a diameter 0.16 inches less than the inside stator diameter, stick it in the middle of the speaker, and you should be all right.

Don't hold me to this, because I've never done it, but I really don't think a small electrostatic requires any appreciable amount of space behind it to operate properly.

the problem is not what has been mentioned thus far.

the problem is how to curve a mylar diaphragm around a cylinder and support it at the same time?? :xeye:

sand would not likely be a good thing in the center, since it will look rather reflective at higher freqs, and reduce the volume behind the diaphragm, plus be heavy as all get out.

try a segmented esl, with a number of faces, think octogon, or higher frequency shape... easier to make, and if it sux, you have a bunch of nice ESL cells that you can use otherwise... :D

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.