A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind

I know it has been a while, but i couldnt resist... I finished my final coils and membranes a month and a half a go and now i'm on the frame. I loved Audio Consulting's frame so, it all started from a plumming pipe as seen in the pics bellow. It still needs allot of hard work and will take it to an authorised painting shop for the glossy black that i want for the frame. The interior of the frame will remane matt black as i painted now and then covered with a matt black foil to cover the wooden frame. I still need to find some elegant handles for the frame because i couldnt find on the local shop, so maybe from the net.
Will post some more pics when finished.
Cheers
Sergiu

Ps: i painted the primer on the backyard. :D

Attachments

• IMAG1029.jpg
    IMAG1029.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 723
  • IMAG0987.jpg
    IMAG0987.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 701
  • IMAG0990.jpg
    IMAG0990.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 680
  • IMAG1003.jpg
    IMAG1003.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 676
  • IMAG1008.jpg
    IMAG1008.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 654
  • IMAG1033.jpg
    IMAG1033.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG1031.jpg
    IMAG1031.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG1005.jpg
    IMAG1005.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG1035.jpg
    IMAG1035.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG1037.jpg
    IMAG1037.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 295
Nice !!! All satin black :) never fails. Yeah I probable have years to come for redoing some of the designs :) I mean some sucked , did not need a mic to be sure ;)

And some sounded really good , but I don't trust my ears , I know how I can influace my brain so a mic is a must :)

Here it is my friend,
My diy ruba, preassembled and ready for the final paint. I used a pair of old refurbished 8inch sealed speakers for bass. They are possitionned on the floor and not so sensitive (you can see how far the rubas are positioned in the back). The real 15inch bass speakers that i want to use are positioned on the right, on the table.
I can confirm now that these speakers, assembled like this (with deflection plastic exterior frame) are on a whole different level of sound reproduction with staggering presence, effortless and very appealing mids, very good hights , very good horisontal dispersion but poor vertical dispersion. That's why it is needed a least a 50cm ruba or bigger or stacked to cover all the room.
Coupled with the right amp (the Hiraga 30watter modified in my case) they sing like nothing you ever heard. It took me so much time to find my suited version because i didnt use the original magnets and steel so i had to make it work best for what i had and on top of that i had to make them sensitive enought for 10w amps.
For example i have the old 1969 jlh amp for measuring tests and tested this amp yesterday to see if i had enough dB for small amps ( because my mic isnt calibrated for accurate dB measurement) and the result was as expected, at half volume i can barelly hear my wife at 50cm. So plenty of dB for my future projects (ex: hiraga nemesis compensee, pass de-lite, Macura power mosfet folower)....
The plastic frame makes the sound more concentraded so for example on the tests when you sit in front of them (perpendicullar on axis) you had a huge sweet spot like about 90degree (way bigger than regullar tweeters, ex: 45degrees left and 45degree right) but when moving to the edges, like the rest of the 45 degrees so near 180 degree left and 0 degree right the hights diminishes and the mids also. Now you dont have this problem anymore and the verticall dispersion has improved. Now i understand why Audionec uses such a big wood frame: to improve the 3d imaging and to mask this effect. Clever ideea!!!
Now, i will explain an aspect, because some friends here on diy asked me: you didnt found my vids from youtube on search because, FROM RESPECT, to the inventor, Lineaum, Francois D. And AudioNec i made them private and you can only see them only if you acces them from the diyaudio site. I invested allot of time and money and dont want to share all the pics and detailed vids to some replica retailers from china. If you want to make one you should read the last 40 pages from the thread to at least understand what i did and why i did it.
Cheers
Sergiu

Ps: Wrine, my friend, how are you? I havent seen you latelly...

Attachments

• IMAG1072.jpg
    IMAG1072.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 725
  • IMAG1069.jpg
    IMAG1069.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 744
  • IMAG1067.jpg
    IMAG1067.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 788
  • IMAG1073.jpg
    IMAG1073.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 709
  • IMAG1053.jpg
    IMAG1053.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 734
Hi, I think I build one, therefore a few questions.
How many magnets do I need for a page.
26 pcs per channel and 52 for stereo.
Can one build a coil of round wire?
Yup.

What air gap you choose
3 or 4 mm ( it depends on your magnets and steel).

Cassini67 you dont have to be so insistent (ask the same thing in deutch, or post three times the same thing). I now have a very little time to answer because of the job, familly, hobby so please be patient. I will answer you questions but you have to be patient with me.
Cheers

Hi guys! been away for some time :) but Looking good serg !! they really do !! good work !

I for that mater skipped the ruba :) for now....... but you never know :)

i got to many projects that should be finished in the next 3000 years :) but even that is pushing it i think haha. im so slow and switch projects allot :)

Hello my friend,
Glad to know you are good. Thanks for the apreciation. Actually i finished the bass speakers. They only need paint and the rubas small finishing touches and the final filters( till now i fast improvised some filters to fine tune the combo). I also prepared some serious cables for them wich are also not finished yet.. :) I atached some pics bellow (from two weeks ago+ myself in them). I took a well deserved two weeks pause but will begin work tomorrow and post new pics.
Cheers
Sergiu

Ps: the combo got pretty big and heavy as you sayed. I'm 1.85m tall and they are almost as tall and heavyer than myself. :)
The bass is a minimum requirement for infinite baffle. It is 10x time the vas of one speaker at 235litter and heavy damping and down firing with 10 cm gap between the speaker and floor.

Attachments

• IMAG1162.jpg
    IMAG1162.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 372
  • IMAG1176.jpg
    IMAG1176.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMAG1178.jpg
    IMAG1178.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 266
Last edited: