Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind
A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 04:14 AM   #1121
sergiu2009 is offline sergiu2009  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hello my friend, i posted my answer in your post to be more precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
Hi Serg !

more turns is more force , just how it works in magnetnetics going up in turns thus increasing resistance will net in no gain no lose. if you bring back that impedance you will gain. yes it does mean you got more weight more turns of thicker wire weighs more

I believe that the truth is somewhere in the midle.. Yes you might gain more force but at the cost of weight+ suplimentary glue aded. Adding more glue or harder glue you make the coil more rigid but limit the upper end extension plus increasing mass and inevitably gain a restrained sound. Not adding a hard glue may cause the turns from the coil move independetly between the two cilinders. Again using thicker foil means more thinner turns thus decreasing the total contact area between each independent winding with the membrane wich may favorise the hights to sound more proeminent and loosen the grip on the reproduction of the mids and midbass. An interesting thing that happends when we have more turns is that each suplimentar turn acts almost as a barrier in the path of the previous one (from inside to outside of the coil speaking) thus again, screwing the overall frecv resp and sound ballance .
These 3dB may be a gain but in quantity not quality if not approached accordingly and may not be perceived if only a 1~2dB remains practically ( maybe thats why i didnt heard any dB gain). I did made allot of coils by hand and a huge amount of them where gaining something here but loosing something elsewhere. There must be an obligatory balance between the turns/thickness of wire or foil/weight of coil/gap and magnetic structure to get it just right.
Another thought is that you may gain something on the 4ohms or less impedance. If we remember well my friend, from the youtube, the producer of the most expensive ruban ever, after optimising the coil to get the optimum gain/impedance extention balance right he ended up with a 2 ohm coil and a special silly Ag winded input trafo to get 4-8 ohms (an inevitable trade of).
In my case, i ended up with a coil of 7.5ohm dc with a total of 4 *1.5mm large traces and less than 1mm spacing between the turns to get a 1:1 coil vs gap ratio and a good frecv responce.
So my conclusion is to keep the ratios in the limits, have huge magnetic field strenght (i am thinking to actually make some electromagnets instead of neodims some day) , ultra light coil, and very light membrane and yet very rigid....

good point about the surface area. although i made fast version yesterday with wire al packed together and response was the same. i think the V shape ***** up more of the high end then anything else to be honest of mic i reached 18 khz in the middle it gets bumpy
Yup i know. I remember the butterfly membrane shape vs round, cilinder like tests...
In the end, to get this speaker working there are a huge amount of small details wich, if get right, the result may be outstanding.

Cheers
Serg
Old 7th December 2017, 09:41 AM   #1122
OLEGsan is offline OLEGsan  Belarus
diyAudio Member

Sergiu, WrineX,Many thanks for very valuable information.

I found a 2-sided foil-coated glass fiber glass with a thickness of 0.55 mm.
First I'll try to wind the coil with a wire then etch on glass textolite.

Last edited by OLEGsan; 7th December 2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 7th December 2017, 11:27 AM   #1123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEGsan View Post

Youre wellcome.
Interesting Oleg, can you post some pics with this combo.
One of our colleagues tested the ruba with membranes made from fiberglass and carbon fiber if i remember well and didnt had such a good succes.
So far the materials that hasnt been tested are: rice paper, cottone paper, washy paper,thicker backing paper, thinner electroinsulated paper (used for trafo windings and insulation), thinner myllar foil and who knows maybe new technology materials..
Another aspect that i forgot to mention is that the deflection slot as i use or as the one used in the most expensive rubans are a must have.. They really add more roundness to the voices and the small details (when the song has huge sound stage) are abit more pronounced and reproduced better (like you can pick them from the sound stage even if you are deaf---you know what i mean). I didnt kmow how to measure this aspect but this is what i heard and my wife confirmed when compared a naked ruba vs the final one as i use now.
It doesnt matter if they are flat or round as i use.
Cheers
Sergiu
Old 7th December 2017, 03:25 PM   #1124
diyAudio Member

Sergiu you misunderstood me (the shortcomings of using an interpreter)
I'm talking about fiberglass for making printed circuit boards.
I have found fiberglass a very thin 0.55 mm (with 2-sided foil)

Last edited by OLEGsan; 7th December 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 9th December 2017, 03:54 PM   #1125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrineX View Post
The problem with 10mm did a magnets is the fact your metal is 10 wide unless you use the sideways.

Here 4 pieces of steel 20x10x600 bender by only 40x20x1mm magnets

Gap was 3.5 mm now 0
And how you struggled with it?
Old 9th December 2017, 08:57 PM   #1126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sergiu you misunderstood me (the shortcomings of using an interpreter)
I'm talking about fiberglass for making printed circuit boards.
I have found fiberglass a very thin 0.55 mm (with 2-sided foil)
I think that this is still abit too heavy. Wrine used thin laminae copper coil. Ask him where he finds it. See if its sourceable in your country.
Old 10th December 2017, 07:49 AM   #1127
diyAudio Member

Hello Sergiu.
Yes it is. But the fiberglass is firm and keeps the shape perfectly.
I'm deciding now, do I need in the my magnetic system (20 cm, magnets 50x10x10 mm.) the support in the middle or not.
Old 10th December 2017, 03:13 PM   #1128
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I found the laminate at eBay once it we called polyester copper laminate. I now very often use laminate Mylar film with aluminium. You can get this thicker then 12micron micron to. I'll take a look
Old 10th December 2017, 03:15 PM   #1129
diyAudio Member

25 poly 23 Ali is the thickest laminate I could buy bulk. For the thicker stuff use eBay
Old 10th December 2017, 03:16 PM   #1130
diyAudio Member

You could also use copper tape on 0.3mm carbon fibre sheet. The sheet is not cheap but it is light and Regid

A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different KindHide this!Advertise here!