Maggie 1.6 Ohm Reading

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am curious on the ohm reading for my 1.6's. When I measure it through the speaker wire connected to the low output, I get a reading of 5.6 ohms. When I measure the reading through the wire connected to the high output, I do not get a reading. I did not check the reading through the "main/combined" output. the reading is the same for both speakers. I thought these were 4 ohm speakers so why I am getting 5.6? Why am I curious? My 1985 model 7130 NAD receiver is blowing it's output fuses. I had just received the NAD back from a repair shop (for the same problem) and dummy me, I neglected to have the repair shop show me it worked. Luckily, they are covering it under their repair work warranty. But, the repair tech wanted to know what the ohm readings were for my speakers as he said maybe the speakers were part of the problem. I do not think so because the NAD problem did not occur initially with the Maggies, but with the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers I had a local audio video store install throughout my house, and when showing me that all the speakers worked, those install techs "blew" the NAD when testing the final set of in-ceiling speakers. Up until then, I had never had an ounce of trouble with the NAD or the Maggies. I get the NAD back, connect it to my Maggies to enjoy some beautiful music, and bam, the output fuses blow.
So, what are the ohm readings for each of the outputs on the back of the speakers?

Also, I have since I bought these speakers in 1988 been running the speaker low output to the "A" set of speaker connections on the back of the NAD, and the speaker high output to the "B" speaker connections on the back of the NAD. I thought this was a bi-wired set-up. but, when I called Magnepan today to ask about the ohm readings (they had none to give me, other than 4 ohms), I was told I had the speakers wired incorrectly because the 1.6's cannot be bi-wired. Can someone explain to me what I have been doing with my connections if it is not a bi-wired setup, and have I dne any harm to my speakers? They still sounded great when the NAD was working last. Thanks in advance for your time and help!!

If the speakers were the problem, you'd be looking at shorts, not open circuit. As it happens, the Maggies are a pretty kind and even load for an amp.

A couple of general comments: impedance is an AC property. Doing a DC measurement will show if things are shorted, but not necessarily give you an idea of impedance. An open circuit reading may just mean that there's a series capacitor- transparent to high frequencies, but it blocks DC and low frequencies. And ratings like "4 ohms" are works of fiction. Impedance varies with frequency and level, it is NOT a simple number.

In any case, I'd guess that your speakers are not an issue for any halfway competent amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.