building a new computer speaker setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My current setup is a slightly modified set of Monsoon computer speakers, with the planar full range drivers. My measurements show them to have a horrible frequency response that extends to about 17-18khz. I always had issues with blending these acceptably to the stock subwoofer, the modification was mostly to that thing, but its now dead. I always liked the imaging of the speakers, found them better than any other computer speaker I had owned, but the colorations were just intollerable. I also felt that the speakers had dynamic issues, they just couldn't play loud, or quickly get loud it seemed, without compression.

My idea is to build my own speakers from scratch for this. I found a Kaiga multimedia amp that I think will be perfect, but I could also make one from the various chip amp options, possibly as affordably or cheaper. However, I dont have an easy ability to cross it over, I could get a kit to do some active crossovers, but most of the kits I know of are too much for something as simple as this, and probably would cause the price to jump too much.

For the speakers, I was thinking of using Tang Band's subwoofers for the sub box, as they offer some nice small subs at decent prices. I was thinking either a 6" or 8" sub. In order to help blend a Dipole speaker to a subwoofer best, I thought it might be better to use a dipole mounted midbass/lower midrange driver. Possibly also from Tang Band in the 3" size range. Then I get stuck. I can't decide if it makes sense to use the Monsoon drivers I have mounted on the 3" driver's box, and crossed over at say 500hz or so, or if I should go with something like a B&G driver mounted in a similar fashion. I think the Monsoon would require too much eqing to get flat enough, but I dont think the B&G's smaller radiating surface will offer the magic of the monsoon in imaging. I am also concerned that trying to use a dipole mounted 3" driver wont blend well with either, or atleast not as simply as I am thinking.

Anyone have any thoughts, should I simply try and stick with something simple and ditch the Monsoon's completely for now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.