A cheap ribbon you guys may be interested in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I confirm that these ribbons used as super tweeters are very good. I used 1uf cap in series and 47res to match the loudspeaker output ( 87db) as compared to 92db of the ribbon.
The resistor is really necessary in my case, else like everything, too much of a good thing is bad.
It really clears up the top end, just what I needed. When I remove them now, I am aware of something missing. I don't understand why but the botton end just seems also better now. Must be just in my head...
So a big thanks to georgehifi for pointing us to this one.

Hi All,

I bought a set of thes, they seem ok I'll mount them on a board and test them further. a quick test showed they were clean detailed and lacked intermod, but thats good isn't it.

a web search for the foster model indicates that this is the source.

http://www.allenorgan.com/store/aosurplusstore.html

likely not worth buying from them given the cost of freight and exchange rate but the front panel option would be nice and a little less industrial looking.

Hi

Saw the pdf showing the front baffle option. Guess
someone could make a few bucks doing resin mould
copies of the front baffle for all those who purchase
the Jaycar version. Wonder if the response is improved.
Were the response readings shown done with or without the baffle?

If I use 5 units in an array could I get away with a 24db/octave
cross at 4.2K or would I have to settle for 5k plus?

regards

AnthonyPT

Yes three months is a long time. The shipment must have been lost in the mail or they somehow messed up and the order didn't go out. But the worst thing is that they have been extremely slow to respond to my many e-mails.

After many failed attempts (due to time zone) today I finally got ahold of customer service (or maybe they should be called "customer no service"). They did not give me any answers about what happened or applogize for not responding. But they said that they will send me a new package supposedly via AIR mail. Well see, maybe I will be lucky this time.

Cheers,

Exipnos

Hi Exipnos,

Look I hope they do sort this out for you and this time they get it right, seems like customer service is a rare thing this day and age I never said they were great to deal with, but they have been reliable so far in my dealings.

on a brighter note, ha ha ha, I have been using a pair of these tweeters as "super" tweeters,I'm not sure I like the term "super" tweeter with a little equalising of my speaker system, I quite like them. More importantly my wife has given them the seal of apporval, :D

Surprising as the last upgrade was a truncated folded horn sub woofer in one corner of the lounge room and i do mean one corner of the lounge room.

Robert

I just hope I get them this time. Even though people like these tweeters especially for the money, I think I jumped in to fast. I was going to use these tweeters in some inwall speakers with cheap NSB woofers. Well, that might be a problem since NSB's have some probllems high up and these tweeters like a crossover around 6000. Oh well live and learn...

Use them as Super Tweets / Fill in tweets on something else.

I am using mine now with 1 mfd in series 100UH in paralel... Should be 18 K/12db with my calcs. Works well. I have tried a variety of slopes and cross over points and this works for my rig but I think it all has a lot to do with the response of the std tweets in ones system. Makes me wonder how after market sellers get it right to sell complete super tweet. Well, Tannoy does 12db/oct at 12, 15 and 18 K I think, Towwsend is 1st order with a -3 db point at 20, I think that means he crosses at about 25....
So no uniformaty between different manufacturers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.