Dynapleat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...um a Q of 0.8 is not overdamped at all.

0.707 is called "critically damped" and the range between that and 0.5 is generally considered optimal damping for a filter. But speakers are a little different.

In a dipole speaker 0.8 is good, since there is no cabinet with an air mass to interact. Even 1.0 is ok fine. Gets you a bit more bass in the real world.

But, if there is overlap between the -3dB point acoustically of the dynapleat in the baffle and the subwoofer, then some adjustment is in order with either the sub's xover point/slope and/or the dynapleat's roll-in - which would imply a high pass.

However, things would likely sound best phase wise without an xover, but again that depends on the phase relationships between the drivers around the xover point anyhow.

Using a high pass will REDUCE the excursion of the dynapleat due to LF energy that does not produce usable output, and so increase the power handling, thus it is not a bad idea in practice,especially if you want to play them loudish.

_-_-bear

greetings bear

Actually, I think critical damping is defined as a Q of unity. Conventional wisdom says that the optimum damping of a cone driver in an enclosure should be .707 due to the overhang that occurs with most relatively massive woofers.

When I built my system, I knew I was going to use a biamped subwoofer and could adjust that crossover point to fine-tune the low end. As you say, a high-pass filter could affect phase response in the mid and upper bass and I preferred to avoid any possible loss of coherency in the range of the Dynapleats. In that overlap region, however, there are probably many things going on. I admit to some luck in getting a result that seems "just right".

I haven't detected any lack of control in the Dyanpleats, even at higher listening levels. The perforated sheet introduces what is called a mixed-mass resistive element not unlike a resistive port in a reflex enclosure. It provides some frequency dependent damping, greater at the low frequencies.

Re: greetings bear

des1a said:
As you say, a high-pass filter could affect phase response in the mid and upper bass and I preferred to avoid any possible loss of coherency in the range of the Dynapleats. In that overlap region, however, there are probably many things going on. I admit to some luck in getting a result that seems "just right".

I had not thought about the phase shift that would be induced by the high pass filter into the midband.. Makes sense.

All is missing now is some spare time to get my hands again on these drivers and make some experiments..

Crossover addendum

In case you're getting close to buying the coils (inductors) or winding them yourself, I wanted to mention that I changed the values on mine and prefer the newer version. I changed the .6mH to 1.5mH and changed the .3mH to .6mH. The overall sound is now a bit less hard in the upper midrange when the music has a lot of energy in the lower treble range.

I wanted to post this before they make changes in the website. My experience is that website changes usually give me a real headache since I use a non-standard browser.

regards, and I hope you're making progress.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.