Diy Amt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK Guys, I'm looking for some input. I'm attempting to build my own AMT driver. What I'm looking for is an AMT that will play cleanly from 1000 hz up that I can mount in a baffle. The AMT1 sounds just fine to me in this range, but won't easily mount in a baffle. An Eton ER-4 mounts in a baffle, but goes to crap under about 1800. My thought is, use the ER4 design with an AMT1 element. I have a couple ER4s, there's no rocket science here. It's an element sandwiched between two pieces of steel with some Neo magnets. My neighbor is a sheetmetal guy. I have the basic design layed out. A couple of pieces of 1008 steel with the appropriate holes cut. I picked up some N48 magnets that fit in between the steel pieces, and have an element on order from a speaker repair place. Does anyone have any input for me? I don't see why this won't work great, am I missing anything?

John

Hello, just use some L brackets and the two factory AMT mounting holes and mount the Heil to the baffle board. More magnet strength will give you higher output in the higher frequencies but will probably weaken the lower range of the driver. In other words maybe try that first.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the most elegant. You know, I never even thought of using L brackets. I built a baffle with a shelf, but that didn't work very well. I'm still interested in building my own AMT driver, just to see how well it works. I really don't think there is that much to it. Magnatar, how far are you with the field coil AMT? That seems like it would be a technical masterpiece when complete. Do you know how much gauss (is that the right term) you have to create to get the element working well?

Hello, I've been tying up my coil winder/reconer guy too much with my midrange drivers. He is interested doing it - it may be pricey - each AMT will need four flat coils wound and I want to keep the wire gauge up and the impedence down around 100 ohm for the set. Probably around 150.00 for each driver. I use five of the big heils (Circle Surround) - the factory magnets seem powerful enough (ever take one apart?) but there is something about the sound I get from other electromagnet drivers that keeps drawing me back to it. They will have adjustable field strength - :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.