Quad ESL63 power handling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had an interesting experience with my Quad ESL63s at the weekend. The ESL63s are driven by a Quad 606 and from experience I know how far up I can turn the volume before the protection circuit is activated. I had always assumed that the 606 had more power than necessary. I had built a pair of 606 bridging units for someone and was testing them with my other 606 so I had one 606 bridged to drive each ESL63 Much to my surprise the 63s went much louder than with the single 606 so loud in fact that I was frightened to turn them up to the point where the protection circuit was activated. Has any one else tried using higher power amplifiers with there ESL63s

Stuart

I've cranked mine up to very loud levels plenty of times. I find that if a panel is becoming prone to arcing (which will happen once in a while in the life of a Quad owner), then loud levels will bring it on, but as long as all the panels are in good condition, it's hard to imagine wanting more SPL unless you don't mind damaging your ears!

I have also used subwoofers which cross-over around 80 Hz. I just use a single pole (one series cap) for the high-pass filter for the Quads, and that's enough to really free them up to sing even more loudly.

BTW, in my room, I've gotten respectable bass down into the thirties of hertz without subs.

I think there's all together too much whining heard about Quads regarding "no bass" and "not loud enough". However, I will say that I wish the panels were more reliable. My Florida locale is not ideal when it comes to humidity. In the past twenty years I've replaced numerous panels due to stators coming unglued from the "egg crate" or arcs and diaphragm tears. And I don't make a habit of listening loudly very much of the time, if only for hearing's sake. I run mine without the fabric socks and I’ve found a correlation between direct sunlight on the speaker and the glue problem. Keep the drapes closed! Whether it’s heat or UV, I’m not sure, but I’m guessing the latter.

The ESL 63 have a string of Zener diodes that clamp the voltage in the secundary of the input transformers , when the voltage reach the correspondent to 40 Volts peak in the primary .

Only if the amp is "man " enough to drive that clamp , the triac enter in action and short the input...:hot:

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.