OGIaudio - True Ribbon - Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How do you get such impressive low frequency output from your ribbons?

On the my web site you can see that impulse start at 0.2ms, that means mic. was at few cm from ribbon.
Important thing is that I get enough low freq. without problems with ribbon for Jazz music.
I have this system 5 years, for me pure ribbon is all I need.
Some of my friends think that I need sub too.
Maybe they are right, if I want to offer my speaker maybe I really must add a sub.
Which sub system will be the best choice for 100Hz -3db, max. quality and min. room problems?
Thanks to all !

Tomislav,
Those big ribbons look like they have the potential to sound quite spectacular. Personally, I would cross them to a really low distortion woofer above the optimum range of most subs...say 200Hz+ to a "C" baffle dipole. Later, if you decide to go even lower, you can always add a good sub below the woofer.

You may be very pleasantly surprised by how much that can lower distortion and open up the dynamics.
Paul

Test Mules

OGIaudio said:

I have this system 5 years, for me pure ribbon is all I need.
Some of my friends think that I need sub too.
Maybe they are right, if I want to offer my speaker maybe I really must add a sub.
Which sub system will be the best choice for 100Hz -3db, max. quality and min. room problems?
Thanks to all !

Butzo said:
Hi, Tomislav.

I would say that the optional sub surelly might resolve any 'lack of the bass' problem, but the greatest benefit of it might come alive if you let the sub frequencies - to the sub alone.

I have never heard Ribbons that could product bass as well as a convensional driver, not even an array made with 20 ribbon panels can match a simple large woofer.
Excursion is a factor but i believe size matters, Tomislav ribbons could be exceptional, but i would love to hear them.
Integrating a woofer is difficult, to get one with the right tone and character is important so bass is seemless.

Have you tried any woofers with your ribbons Tomislav?

There's a claim that one could live without 50 or less Hz of the acoustic output from speakers - if the rest of the specrtum was reproduced naturaly.

How to incorporate dynamic woofer's sonic behaviour with the OGI ribbon's, seems to be the problem, which needs to be solved.

I will be looking forward to contact Tomislav for the oportunity of listening his ribbons in order to get a more detailed practical insight in this issue. But as I've heard from the others, OGIribbon allready sound so so well !

Nobody had a calibrated SPL meter to pick up the number that probably interests you the most. Should i take mine ?

Tomislav,

If the price is no object, make the ribbon wider and get big Neo magnets. 25mm x 25mm x 2m magnets will give you good 4500Gauss across 30mm gap and you will almost double the ribbons area. If you can swing 50mm x 50mm x 2m magnets, you will get the same flux already across 60mm gap. Here we already enter into pretty serious stuff.
I'd highly suggest to corrugate the ribbon. Uncorrugated one works basicaly like a marimba bar, with all resonance modes, etc. Also, the corrugation will let you tune the ribbons precisely and make them much more compliant, reducing danger of tearing them.

>yes, all this is very serious, heavy, dangerous, expensive...
>I already use big / high grade NdFeB magnets.

>Please give me one example of a big ribbon speaker with a >corrugated ribbon. ( photo / link )

Check this site::

http://www.transmissionaudio.com/pages/738782/index.htm

Serious stuff!

If you want to get into the hell of commercial production world you have to make your choice--whether to make things the right way (way too expensive) so nobody would buy it, or make some compromises ( for example, corrugate the ribbon you have and add some kind of transmission line subwoofer), so it will be more affordable, but still with high end performance.

Heck!!! A few days ago I bought a beautiful BMW 635CSI in wonderfull condition almost for what I'd pay for precision made corrugator :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, I plan to start commercial production but not before I'm totally satisfy.
I will have only one model and give my best to make things the best possible.
As option, I plan to offer subwoofer for freq. below 50Hz.
The price will not be high because I don't make speakers to earn a lot of money.

On the Transmission Audio web site I can't find photo where I can see ( good ) the corrugate ribbon which is very long in one piece.
I ask you to show me example because my experience is: that is mission impossible
Why? Simple, if you have 2000mm corrugate ribbon and some low freq. / big displacement, in the next moment you will have 2005mm or more.

Corrugate ribbons are OK for small units without big displacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.