Wisdom Audio's new woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone else seen Mr. Bohlender's new woofer for his in-wall speakers? He showed me a sample at the CES convention and I was highly impressed. It is about 4" wide and 18" long with a big flat diaphragm. The voice coil is nearly the same size as the diaphragm so it gets driven over its whole surface. Kind of like a track field shape. I believe the magnets are neo and the frame is super chunky, like a boat anchor plus a big Xmax. He says it has a pretty high Q so I started to salivate at the possiblity of some dipoles with these..... Maybe it will work really well and someone will do a similar version for us all to enjoy.

Greg

I find it hard to qualify the statement that a diaphragm is driven over its whole surface when that diaphragm is moved by ANY kind of voice coil. Are you trying to say that a larger voice coil couples better than a small one? Fine, I can accept that. But saying that a voice coil that does NOT directly apply a force over the entire diaphragm DOES, slightly irks me.

OK, fine, I see your point....it's NOT the ENTIRE suface, but come on. You KNEW what I meant right? I mean, if i mention a voice coil at all, we know that it is driven only at the point where it attaches to the cone, so why the big deal? Sorry I didn't say, "driven over a large percentage of it surface"

greg

454Casull said:
And that isn't quite precise, either. If the voice coil is nearly the same size as the diaphragm, then it's kind of like a huge dome, and the middle will be prone to resonance (I think).

a quick look at it shows that a cone nominally supported/driven at one central point will be extremely prone to resonances...

a stiff flat surface driven along the periphery will have a far better chance of not having as many break up resonances...

at least that's imho...

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.