Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

experiences with ESL directivity?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2018, 02:25 PM   #101
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolserst View Post
...As much as I like to complain about Microsoft and Apple software, I believe that error is due to uninstalled service packs. The spreadsheet may work just fine even with the error...can't tell you for sure though. If you let me what version of Excel you are running, I can email you a copy saved for that version that should open up fine.
It is the recently no-longer-supported MS Office 2011 (and good chance some of us will not want any MS upgrades hereafter). I get some buggy messages from MS. Shoddy products, not up to Apple standards esp user experience.

Unlikely to have missing service upgrades.

No plans presently for me to use your generously provided app. Just helping fellow Apple fanboys know that Numbers will boot it. Pity about other sims.

B.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 10.15.22 AM.png (16.2 KB, 147 views)
Old 26th May 2018, 02:22 AM   #102
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

I received by email an alert that a thread of interest had a new post. I read it and thought “Yes, that really is right down my alley.” It took me a bit to realize the thread was familiar but ~14 years old. That’s quite a run! Thanks, Bolserst, for such useful updates!
Few
Old 30th May 2018, 05:22 PM   #103
blueocean is offline blueocean
diyAudio Member

Regarding the use of ESL_line_sectioned_DIY_v4 and esl_seg_ui: more the sections more the high frequencies with the asymmetric configuration 1?

In my case the wires are only 42 so getting double the central section is impossible....

with 9 (8 + 1) sections I set the nearest value that is: 10 4 4 4 4 or, with 11 sections 12 3 3 3 3 3.

another thing i noticed that if i increase the value of the resistors suggested by ESL_line_sectioned_DIY_v4 the results in esl_seg_ui improve, why?
Old 30th May 2018, 06:03 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

opps i correct myself, the result with different resistors don't improve, only fall the sensibility and that deceive my eyes.....
Attached Images
File Type: png Cattura1.PNG (28.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: png Cattura2.PNG (27.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 1st June 2018, 05:30 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

played with the spreadsheet and esl_seg_ui in this week this configuration with seven segments (42 wires) seem to be interesting (with normal commercial resistors values...) it's a good starting?
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture8.PNG (48.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 1st June 2018, 07:49 PM   #106
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueocean View Post
… i noticed that if i increase the value of the resistors suggested by ESL_line_sectioned_DIY_v4 the results in esl_seg_ui improve, why?
There is an interdependence of HF(high frequency) dispersion, SPL, and fL(low frequency break point) or bass extension.
As one would expect with mother nature, there are trade-offs in desirable characteristics.

Increase segmentation resistors: SPL is reduced, fL is reduced, HF dispersion is increased or improved
Decrease segmentation resistors: SPL is increased, fL is increased, HF dispersion is decreased or worsened

That attached set of plots shows response for fL = 100, 200, and 400Hz, by doubling segmentation resistor values.
You can see the trend in fL, SPL, and HF dispersion.
Attached Images
File Type: png ESL_Segment_Resistor_Trends.png (900.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 5th June 2018, 04:14 PM   #107
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
It is the recently no-longer-supported MS Office 2011...
A version of the spreadsheet saved in post Excel 2007 format was sent and solved the import errors.
Thanks to bentoronto for reporting back results. If anybody else is having similar issues, let me know.

Have had a few PM on the topic of trade-offs in HF dispersion when trying to decide on number of segments and whether to use symmetric Configuration 1 or 2.
  • If your panel width and fL have been chosen, the dispersion will improve with increasing number of segments up to a point.
    Beyond that, further increase in number of segments does not improve the dispersion further for frequencies < 20kHz.
  • Configuration 2 needs only half the number of segments as Configuration 1 to achieve nearly the same HF dispersion.
  • Be sure to consider the output impedance of your amplifier when deciding which Configuration to use. In particular, it is not unusual for tube amplifiers to have output impedances of several ohms which will cause HF response to droop with Configuration 2 because it requires much lower series resistance feeding the central segment.
    Thanks to alexIG for identifying this issue.

Post with plots comparing polar response for different number of segments and configuration:
Thinking about a segmented wire stator ESL #39

Further posts on these topics:
Thinking about a segmented wire stator ESL #23
Thinking about a segmented wire stator ESL #79
Attached Images
File Type: png Segment_Size_Number.png (45.0 KB, 21 views)

experiences with ESL directivity?Hide this!Advertise here!