beveridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI

I currently build a new chassis for my acoustat 2+2 and I`m very interested in the belveridge idea

They use a diffuser in front of their panel and the result is a wave at 180dedree pattend

they radiate in the shape of a ½cylinder.

I wonder if anyone understand why they use that shape of diffuser.

It mus have a mathematical formula to give that king of shape...

Any help to understand their diffuser will be appreciated.

http://www.beveridge-audio.com/p/Patent_2.htm

Martin

The Beveridge concept was relatively simple, and interesting.

Their preferred speaker placement was actually *left* and *right* walls, not left and right front as we usually do.

The fronts of the Beveridge cells had an acoustic lens that produced a nominally even 180 degree polar response.

The 2+2 speaker will *not* work as it is currently configured for the Beveridge set up. Presumably you could eliminate 2 of the 4 cells and place an appropriate rear volume and front acoustic lens and come up with pretty much the same result as did the Beveridge.

They are still being made, and as of last year you could find the website with some amount of detail on the construction and the philosophy of design. There was also some patents which can be found in a USPTO search.

Iirc, the son is running the company now.

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Ok,

I looked at the link you posted after I posted.

What you see there is exactly what it is... it's a phase plug from the pinched part back to the diaphragm, and going the other way it is an acoustic lens, diffractive type in part (thin sharp edges).

The total path for each channel is *identical* (I would expect, unless they needed some fine tuning for the proper dispersion angles).

So, it's a plastic or metal thingie that is precisely made as it looks.

The key is to keep the path lengths identical. This makes the output in phase at HF.

There are doubtless other means to accomplish the same task.

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.