Martin Logan Monolith bass fix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Post #2
It`s done a friend helped me measure the resonant peak, which was about 4-5db at 80hz. The LCR network to get this flat is 18mh in series with 900uf in series with 5.6ohm across the bass speaker, in the Monolith`s case it`s easy to fit outside as the xover is outside the box.
These values for the LCR are for my speakers which are 100% stuffed this may vary from the standard which is only 30% stuffed.
Anyhow the bass is now tight smooth and dynamic, much different to the standard one note bass the the Monoliths had.
One day i may do the standard measurements, but i like the detailed tight sound of an overdamped, low Q bass, it suits my not so large listening room.

Note: Values are the same for factory standard stuffing as well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27986

Cheers george

Inductor Coil Upgrade - LCR filter impact

I am considering the replacement of the 10 mh inductor that is in series with the 12" woofers in my ML ReQuest speakers with a low DC resistance 10 mh toroidial iron core one. I measured 1.4 ohms on the stock coils and the spec on the new ones I'm considering is 0.1 ohms. I'm thing this could drastically improve the tranisent response and improve the blend with the panels. It would be kind of like going from 200 feet of 20 gauge wire to 10 feet of 12 gauge speaker cable.

However I think the existing LCR network would be completely wrong for the new alignment and should either be redesigned or eliminated. Since I don't know how to design a proper LCR network I'd have to hope that the transient response is so greatly improved (total Q 0.7 or lower) so no response peak would be present.

I'm thinking of trying to measure the woofer parameters to be able to make some sort of prediction on this. I haven't done that in a long time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.