Quad Esl63 rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a really old pair of ESL-63's. They are in pretty bad shape. Most of the stators are unglued from the egg crate. I just re-glued one panel and made a new diaphragm. I used dish soap for the coating. It's not working right though. It sounds like rain. I don't see any arcing, even with the lights off. It makes music. I think maybe the coating is not right. I could use some help. What coating is the best and easiest to use? What should I use to hold the mylar in place? I used double stick tape but it's slipping. Any help appreciated! Thanks.

The original ESL used a soluble nylon as a coating; I don't know about the ESL-63. There was a web site that had a lot of background and details on this, but I can't recall the URL. Do a Google on "Quad ESL coating", and you'll probably find it. The site I'm thinking about had a wonderfully hard-to-read white text on black background.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.