using weatherstripping instead of silicone dots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
after years of service my Audiostatic ES300s have lost sensitivity and I refurbished them with new diaphragm and coating. I am about the last step, the silicone dots. I was wondering if I could use weatherstripping, foam with adhesive on one side, to achieve the limit of excursion, dampening and altering resonance. I would tape it to the aluminum bars and like the idea of not making a glue connection onto the diaphragm,
what are your thoughts?
Cheers
Brxl

there will be no added damping from the foams properties that will translate into a noticeable difference.

One possible issue with the "foam" is getting exact thickness so it doesn't hold the stators farther away from diaphragm than the design wants to see, The foam needs a small amount of compression to hold diaphragm without possible Buzz. If the foam is elastic then its "spring" will have to be compressed putting force on stators.

I took the easy route...went with the silicone dots as per before.They are back together and get broken in as I type. Playing detailed on an almost scary level now, that is how I got used to the deteriorating sound year by year. The instructions per Het idee om een elektrostatische luidspreker te bouwen zat al langer in mijn hoofd. De restauratie van een bestaande electrostaat, een Audiostatic ES100, is het geworden. Niet eenvoudig, wel geslaagd. - Audio-Creative were very helpful and I tested the resonance with a real time analyzer and ping pong ball for excitation.
Cheers
brxl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.