Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Integrating Electrostatic Speakers into existing standard speaker home theater
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2018, 11:41 PM   #1
Audio Adrenaline is offline Audio Adrenaline  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Integrating Electrostatic Speakers into existing standard speaker home theater

I bought some Acoustat Spectra 11s the other day my first set of electrostatics and I've set them up with a subwoofer successfully and with music they sound great. I want to integrate the rest of my older home theater system again (ive got a good quality Dali Center with a ribbon driver) but my rears are nothing special and im also wondering how good that centre channel is going to sound next to those electrostatics. I dont have the budget to get an electrostatic centre and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and how they delt with it?
Old 10th August 2018, 12:38 AM   #2
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The ideal situation is matching all your speakers. The idea being that when you a sound is panned around the room it dosnt change. In most cases just matching the front three is all you need. In your situation use EQ and level to try to match the centre to left right. Since 90% of a movie mix has different content on the centre channel, the dialogue, then the left/ right the music, even this match is not that critical.
Old 10th August 2018, 10:05 PM   #3
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Adrenaline View Post
I dont have the budget to get an electrostatic centre and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and how they delt with it?
Just my ignorant 2-cents, but ESLs ought to be precise enough and well-matched enough that no centre speaker is needed.

In HT and TV, the visual perception is so compelling, it hardly matters what you do with the sound except for ping-pong tournaments.

I recently read about the way the pinna changes the sound reaching your ear. Of course your hearing mechanism knows how to interpret this and use it in real settings. But recording engineers setting up the rear/ambient channels do not know (nor does anybody... might be an unsolvable concept).

B.
Old 11th August 2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Mike Beck is offline Mike Beck  United States
diyAudio Member

BentorontoI is right! I have a 4.1 ht Setup with no center channel and the results are just amazing. Try removing your center channel.
Old 11th August 2018, 05:38 PM   #5
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

All th dialogue is in the centre channel so your listening to a down mix of the 5 channel mix. Like down mixing stereo to mono. Never the best idea.
Old 11th August 2018, 09:35 PM   #6
Mike Beck is offline Mike Beck  United States
diyAudio Member

My HT receiver is programmed to know that center channel is not used and the decoder sends proper info to LR main speakers.
Old 13th August 2018, 06:46 AM   #7
Audio Adrenaline is offline Audio Adrenaline  Australia
diyAudio Member

thanks guys I will try both with and without - at this stage I just had totally unhooked the rest of the home theatre appart from the sub(which im using in audio anyway) and yes I must say I did notice that the pinpointing of voices is very accurate with the ESLs much more than what I had before even with the centre channel (which is quite good with the ribbon driver and all) so I will try the 4.1 setup and see how that sounds my amp does have the centre channel on off function so I'll see :-)

Integrating Electrostatic Speakers into existing standard speaker home theaterHide this!Advertise here!