Quad intermittent gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple of months ago I rebuilt one of the "bass" panels in one of my 988 pair. I used the glue formula, mixing wood glue with water and some graphite, nothing too sophisticated, only followed what I gathered from these forums. The Mylar used was a 2 micron one I sourced from China. Well, I posted all these before and mentioned it was working fine. Then it went bad, gain was much less than in the other speaker. Got them out of the room, brought them back 2 or 3 times and the issue persisted. Since then 'been listening to my other speakers.

Today I installed them again, and thy are sounding beautifully! what the heck! Is there an explanation for this? I don't believe is electrical, maybe environmental, like humidity or dryness in the air and the panel in question susceptibility to these parameters.... Maybe I should order a proper coating liquid and do it right.

my guess is that your diaphragm tension is too low (the 2um film may be the culprit). If the diaphragm colapses against a stator due to the low tension, not only will that panel sto[p making noise, but it can short out the high voltage power supply. Put your ear up to that panel when the output is low and listen for a faint sizzling.

Sheldon
quadesl.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.