ESS Heil AMT Question

If it has a tweeter level control, that could be the problem.

Otherwise, it could be a bad tweeter crossover capacitor.

Thanks. I have the individual drivers hooked up there’s no crossover

IMG_0554.JPG

I digitally EQed out everything below 800 just for a test. Also it’s not the amp, I switched the drivers around and same result.

Let me know if you think of anything else.

Try measuring the DC resistance of each tweeter, and see if the two are similar.
Maybe a bad or corroded connection to the diaphragm.

That explains it! I'm getting 3.4 through one of them, and 1.7 through the other. What a crazy difference! Should I fix it or do you think I should return them and get another pair? The fix would be just to add a resistor to the one that's 1.7 right? Ideally I'd like it so that they match the resistance of the woofers which is 4.7. So can I add resistors to both to increase impedance? What do you think?

Let me know,
Joey

Joined 2011
Should I fix it or do you think I should return them and get another pair? The fix would be
just to add a resistor to the one that's 1.7 right? Ideally I'd like it so that they match the
resistance of the woofers which is 4.7. So can I add resistors to both to increase impedance?

Sounds like at least one is defective, so I would return them if you can for new replacements.
Maybe one section of the softer tweeter is not functioning, or is disconnected.
Resistors won't fix the problem, it would just reduce the level of the good one,
but that may not be the only problem. Don't keep them. The louder one is likely to be the good one.

Last edited:
You do want them to be identical, so if they are different impedance,
one should be changed to match the other.

Yes and they said they could make them match an impedance I need anywhere from 3.7 to 4.4 so when the woofers come I want to use for this application, I am going to test the woofers and see what impedance they are, and I’m going to ask ESS to make the Heils slightly more. So if the woofers are 3.8 I’ll ask Heil to go 4.1 or 4.2

Hi,
The diaphragm slides in/out of the housing. The impedance is within the diaphragm itself. ESS should be able to send you a replacement diaphragm with the nominal impedance matched close to the one you have that isn't partially open.

Yes I'm aware, but they are also going to recondition them for me, clean up the magnet structure, etc. Also their CEO said they have some chemical they can put on the magnets to turn them chrome.

Would be a cool look.

Reviving this thread. I was given a pair of Heils along with an amplifier purchase, but I realized they are way off on impedances. One shows 7.9 ohm and the other is 3.9. Curious if ESS would service the one to match or if I send both in. I don’t plan on using them on a build so maybe I should sell as-is.