Giant ribbon Fountek NeoPro 10i review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for your question. It is not producer mistake, it's even a war for top of tweeter market. No many candidates for this peak. I knew Raal Lazy Ribbon, not more...
What for? We are talked about DIY loudspeaker pretty expensive, even over money limit.
Sometimes its based very high sensitivity woofer, occasionally people would like to upgrade they vintage speakers like Western Electric - it has about 112 dB/w...
About low resonance frequency. To tell the true it's just result of big ribbon and not usefull enough. I mean I prefare 2.5-3-5 kHz banding section and not approved 1000 Hz and less. I never heared good sounding 2 way loudspeaker, based 10"+ribbon.... That's because woofer has at least XX gramm moving mass, but ribbon isn't and it's sounding not matched.
So this model could be useful and desired for some real involved designers...

Thank you for the reply Artmaster. Personally I would rather stay with ESl hybrid for 2 way even with much lower sensitivity & if I had a bigger listen space, I would opt for horns rather then using a ribbon. Anyway it’s just me. Lol Others may have a different view but thanks for sharing .

Cheers

Well, i would think that these ribbons are mean to built a serious line source...there you can adjust sensitivity by the right serial/parallel connections...my line sources are built with 12 Fountek FT-2...per side. They have been pretty affordable those days. I could have built the same speaker with six Ft-10 instead nowadays, but I believe at a much higher price...They are well above 500 Euro/piece.

It would be interesting to test how well they go down in cross-over-frequency...if they can play below 1000Hz with 12 db...I always liked the sound better when cross over frequency is lower...if the chassis can stand it.

Question pls. Isn’t it a waste to produce a ribbon with such high sensistivity & yet have to be brought down cause mids & woofers of near sensitivity are difficult to find. ...

Hopeless to dream that you can build a speaker based on matching sensitivity specs. If you did, the speaker would have to be re-designed as soon as you added a rug to your room. In the real world, you got to include level (and many more) adjustments.... which is why DSP bi-amping makes the most sense.

A great advantage of a ribbon, isn't it a mostly a flat and stable impedance for the crossover output to see, at least compared to the back-EMF from voice coils? (See video for 10-ohms.) If so, you can use an L-pad to control the loudness without destroying the crossover operation. Can't do that with voice coils.

And of course, you can't mess with the woofer, so the treble driver must be louder.

B.

Last edited:
I would like to see these measurements etc.
I cannot find on youtube, can you supply a more direct link?

looking at design and Founteks data I see two issues...

1- the rear chamber volume is small as in all of these designs( iron pole connecting magnets is the chamber and by necessity must be small) , this produces ( regardless of ribbon length) a strong resonance. In the case of these designs its around 1kHz. While they say 1k crossover OK, my experience with crossing near the resonant peak in such designs does not sound good, AND both the distortion and the CSD plots clearly show evidence why.

2- There is a sharp discontinuity in the frequency response around 6 kHz. Very difficult if not impossible to filter out passively ( to within a +- 1db standard) and if you look at a CSD of that area it will likley show some strong energy storage that will sound overly bright in this area. Its difficult to tame resonances between about 4k to 7kHz in foil only ribbons over about 8-10 mm wide when using foil as thick as that in the Fountek

I have ribbon/ 10" cone, 2 ways that sound excellent crossed at 1 Khz, However the ribbon resonance is down around 100 Hz not close to 1 kHz.

Last edited:
Higher sensitivity equals less watts needed for a given SPL equals lower distortion for that given SPL.

This isnt so. Regardless of sensitivity, to achieve a given SPL, equal sized ribbons have to move back and forth the same amount.

The majority of distortion measured in typical free swing ribbon designs is due too how far the diaphragm has to move, not how much power it needs to achieve that move. Within reason of course.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.