Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Stretched Wire Hybrid ESL Build
Stretched Wire Hybrid ESL Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2018, 01:21 AM   #1
DriedChalk is offline DriedChalk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Stretched Wire Hybrid ESL Build

Hello all,
For my high school senior project I will be building a pair of hybrid electrostatic speakers with the help of the techniques and designs by CharlieM.

I originally made a post back in February about building another pair of curved stats, but after some research I decided to make a stretched wire design as per CharlieM. Original Thread

I'm still a student so I don't have a lot of time dedicated to building these right now, but I get the month of May off to work exclusively on my senior project. I've already ordered most of what I need: Wire, Mylar, Subwoofers, Amps/PSUs, Glue, Tape, Resistors, etc.
Old 17th April 2018, 01:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've already received the subs (very beefy) and made test cabinets for them. I decided to go sealed as it was the closest to T/L I could get without making humongous cabinets. The plan is to use a MiniDSP 2x4 HD and a UMIK-1 for crossover and EQ (and more) functionality.
Just bought 2 Sure Electronics AA-AB32313 2x400 amps and power supplies to use to bi-amp the panel and subwoofer.
I had some difficulty getting the wire, but I eventually found a local supplier where I bought 1520 ft of 22AWG PVC insulated wire which when spaced out with 10TPI threaded rods will give me 42% open area.

I already owe much of this project to CharlieM. I'm really using exactly his design for the lattice frames and wire segmentation/resistor values, which has helped tremendously.
The next biggest step is making the wire stretcher jig and the lattice frames to glue the wires to.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.24.19 PM.png (55.2 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6458.jpg (996.4 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6450.jpg (985.4 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg CAD Drawing V4-01.jpg (257.1 KB, 349 views)
Old 17th April 2018, 01:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

As this project and my presentation will be done in late May, I'm looking at ways to cut down time spent building. The cabinets aren't too difficult to build and can be made of 3/4 MDF and then veneered without too much trouble. There are 72 horizontal spars that I must make, for which I'm thinking of using a laser cutter for. They are supposed to be 3/16" wood, but for cost measures I plan on using 1/4" cherry plywood which should cut fine and save me loads of time not having to make each individual spar.
Old 5th May 2018, 06:29 PM   #4
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriedChalk View Post
for cost measures I plan on using 1/4" cherry plywood which should cut fine and save me loads of time not having to make each individual spar.
Plywood should work just fine, and likely have better dimensional stability than the hardwood.
Looking forward to seeing your finished project.
Old 6th May 2018, 04:26 AM   #5
kazap is offline kazap  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriedChalk View Post
.....I plan on using 1/4" cherry plywood which should cut fine and save me loads of time not having to make each individual spar.
If your pushed for time and/or money these light diffusers might be helpful? Black will blend in and not look too bad for plastic. You will only need two so its cheap, styrene has a dielectric constant of just 2.4, its water and humidity resistant for low dielectric stability with warp resistance and it will be a very quick build.

Plastic Lighting Diffusers
0.315" X 23 5/8" x 47 5/8" Black Egg Crate Sheet
The cells are 1/2" x 1/2" and the material is 5/16" thickness. Material is black styrene and can be immersed in water continuously.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by kazap; 6th May 2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 15th May 2018, 01:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

First update in a while:

Whew! These are really no easy task--especially when you're on a deadline.
I've made plenty of progress though:
-All parts and materials obtained
-Wire stretcher built
-Mylar Stretcher built
-Currently building main wood hardware

Tomorrow I plan to have all of the parts for the lattice stators done, and possibly start gluing. Today was spent cutting the main shapes and grouping them together for faster cutting tomorrow.
On Wednesday I hope to make the real cabinets and hopefully veneer them.
The hardwood and veneer I purchased were both cherry, and I plan on using spray on lacquer (maybe some Danish oil first) on all parts.

Enjoy some relevant photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC6848.jpg (654.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6853.jpg (907.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6867.jpg (814.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6881.jpg (726.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6885.jpg (866.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6888.jpg (752.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6846.jpg (746.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC6845.jpg (747.5 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by DriedChalk; 15th May 2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 15th May 2018, 05:33 AM   #7
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice !
I see a similarity in stretching jigs and this is for my Quad 988 panels.
Hard woods have high Q resonances and should be damped any way you can manage when assembled
Touch !
Regards
DavidED68227A-1508-47FC-B592-7A8924F3A9E1.jpg
Old 15th May 2018, 03:46 PM   #8
CharlieM is offline CharlieM  United States
diyAudio Member

It's a lot of work-- more than any sane person would attempt :-)

Your stretching jig looks great. It will take a lot of force to stretch those wires and I'm wondering how well just those (4) small screws into wood will hold the pin plate once you start cranking the jack bolts-- have you stretching any wires yet? You may want to add a few more screws for good measure.
Old 15th May 2018, 04:51 PM   #9
chinsettawong is offline chinsettawong  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Very nice work so far. You're almost there. Keep going!
Old 15th May 2018, 11:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
...have you stretching any wires yet? You may want to add a few more screws for good measure.
Last week I tried stretching the wire from 47.5" to 48", and got to 47 5/8". The rail system I made was a little weak, and so after this stator gets glued up I'll strengthen the jig a bit.

Stretched Wire Hybrid ESL BuildHide this!Advertise here!