Audiostatic ES100 remove silicone glue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a question I didn't find in an existing thread.
I'm currently taking apart a set of ES100's with the aim of replacing the Mylar sheets. I have separated the pertinax frames which hold the Mylar. This was glued together with some kind of silicone. I managed to cut away most of this silicone with a very sharp knife, but it seems impossible too clear it completely of the pertinax. There is a high risk of damaging the pertinax with the knife.

My plan is to use double-sided 3M tape at rebuild for attaching the Mylar and eventually both pertinax frames together.

Is it necessary to remove all of the silicone from the pertinax? I now have pertinax with a more or less even, very thin layer of silicone on it. Does anybody know how to easily remove this silicone or have experience with this on an Audiostatic?

Hi there,

Iam from holland as well. I have also renovated an es100 speaker system. And yes, if you want to reuse the frames, than you really have to clean the frames thoroughly from the glue. I used a silicone scraper from the gamma bouwmarkt. And yes it takes a lot of work.

Good luck

That looks like a handy site Geoneer! I will check it out further. It didn't pop up in my Google searches and I'm not on Facebook.
1. 4.2 micron Mylar with ER coating
2. Yes. I will do replacement of capacitors, resistors etc.
3. Yes and totally straight

Loudspeakers were in original condition but very dirty. Still they played decent with very low volume.
I'm still in the process of cleaning the pertinax frames. I could not find the Gamma bouwmarkt scraper but I'm taking my time cleaning the frames with Bison silicone remover and a metal "razorblade" scraper. I take slow because I want to do it as perfect as can.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hoi ik heb net twee paar gedaan ,ik gebruikte HG siliconenkit verwijderaar.
ik zou een kant laten zitten als je met dubbelzijdig tape werkt dan hoef je maar een kant te plakken en is de silicone kant lekker stroef (ik ga er van uit dat je ze dan met schroeven in elkaar gaat zetten) ik gebruik Tesa 4965 super spul.
gr Huib mail adres dvd963sa@hotmail.com

:cop:

English only please.

Hi i have just done two pairs, I used HG silicone sealant remover.
I would leave a side if you work with double sided tape then you just have to stick one side and the silicone side is nice and rough (I assume you will put them together with screws) I use Tesa 4965 super stuff.
GR Huib Mail address dvd963sa@hotmail.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.