3-6 micron Kapton source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please be aware that Kapton is a dried paint. Can have imperfections then.
1 mil is 25.4 micron (10^-6 m) subsequently 0.1 mil is 2.54 micron!
China made <All purpose polyimide film.
Can be laminated, diecut, slit,formed, or adhesive-coated.
Available in thicknesses from 0.3 mil (7.5 µm) to 5 mil (125 µm)>

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Yea that thin in Kapton is likely going to be special order and big $. In fact the thinnest I have ever even heard of was 7.6 micron (0.3 mil)

However I have at times over the years just happened into some leftover stock from a custom project.

I would just use polyester film and may land there BUT in the present design being developed the polyester may be on the edge for heat issues. OK to about 105 db on slow sine sweep power tests , but would like to see a bit more wiggle room here. I suspect its OK for music program but again with Kapton I would feel more confident. Further testing necessary to know and the Kapton would simply mean less work Ha

never was able to find such thin kapton , always 0.1 mil always the same tape used for printer beds and such
You can get 1/2 mill (12 micron) here in both no adhesive and with 1/2 mill silicone. This is about as close as I have ever found. Its OK for making the heavyer ribbon designs BUT experience has shown that thicknesses at or below 0.3 mil sound better.

0.5-mil Polyimide (Kapton) Film No Adhesive | PIT0.5N-Series

Please be aware that Kapton is a dried paint. Can have imperfections then.
1 mil is 25.4 micron (10^-6 m) subsequently 0.1 mil is 2.54 micron!
China made <All purpose polyimide film.
Can be laminated, diecut, slit,formed, or adhesive-coated.
Available in thicknesses from 0.3 mil (7.5 µm) to 5 mil (125 µm)>

whoops sorry im an imperial measurements noob i meant 1 mill :) then

Yeah, that is the thinnest I have seen.
What is your application, planar magnetic?

No this is a free swinging ribbon. It will be working from 1khz on up. 6 micron is about as thick as you can go without significant sensativity loss and as well any more dead weight tends to suck the life out of such designs.

Most of the proto work has been done using polester films. The design has proven itself, however testing has shown that the heat capacity of polyester films is on the edge. the film starts to shrink under hard drive. kapton has proven to be fine but getting any below 12 micron is difficult.

I actually have a roll of the foil/silicone/kapton that was used in the old Apogee Stage MRTs. It has 6-7 micron kapton and after much finger abuse I was able to peal enough Kapton off to build a few test diaphragms ( in this design the ribbon is only 100 mm long by 20mm wide). Power testing went well and no shrinkage with Kapton. That little bugger gets hot above about 105 db.

Last edited:
Well not much luck here so far. The distributor here in the states is TEKRA for this film. However talking to them they claim this film is simply not made in the 3-5 micron range. I tried to tell them there is an entire industry around this film in this range for capacitor manufacture but they just dont seem interested in helping.

If anyone knows another source please let me know....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.