Servo Controlled Drivers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some talk about feedback controlled amplifiers makes me think, why not go another step to servo controlled speakers ?

The position of the driver would be current driven, the current measured by the speaker servo, and by calculation or table declaring the intended cone excursion, measure it's position by an optical encoder or maybe LVDT. Depending on how out of place the cone is, the servo would accelerate the cone to where it should be.

Tricky but I think this will be the ultimate in Hifi speakers.

Not much use in me patenting this, I'm retarded, I mean retired.

This would be an adaptive and predictive controller, actually leaning towards predictive. By precise prediction, cone excursion errors could be very tightly controlled. Once beyond it's intended position, the distortion could be made worse, poor prediction or PID loop tuning incompetence.

Actually, I read about Roger Sanders having done research using servo control to tame the fundamental (drum-head) resonance of an ESL diaphragm. The mechanism used laser interferometry to track the deviation and generate a corrective signal to the amp. Apparently it worked but the apparatus to do it is prohibitive. Last I heard, he was looking at using capacitance changes generated by the diaphragm's motion to generate the corrective signal to the amp. Pretty heady stuff...

Last edited:
Hi,

Last I heard, he was looking at using capacitance changes generated by the diaphragm's motion to generate the corrective signal to the amp. Pretty heady stuff...
Oh, I see a 'refurbished' patent coming up ... similar to his 'stator-from PCB-material' patent :rolleyes:
Beveridge patented that feedback techno for ESLs some 40 or 50 years ago .... just download those patents.

jauu
Calvin

I had also considered induced magnetism to control cone or diaphragm resonance or breakup. The basic idea is something like an induction heater configured to function as an multipoint induction motor to push evenly along the entire cone. Lots of considerations to make it push evenly along the entire cone, such as winding patterns. The induction source is located in the frame and the cone is actually like an induction motor armature.

Looks like a job for an aluminum cone speaker.

I'm tossing out the freebies because I am too old and tired to start a company, so before you think I am stupid for tossing one with such potential as I am about to, forget that I may be stupid and explore the possibilities.

Now Class D fans may have something to crow about since a digital Class D processor core is well suited for this. Some may know what Chladni Patterns are, a display of patterns made on objects by vibrating sand and observing the surface motion.

So now here it is. By knowing the typical patterns that form on each individual speaker design, it may be possible to generate an ultrasonic rider signal to cancel out any nasty resonance points.

Here is what I think may be controlled with software instead of all that special speaker servo plan :

YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.