I have a chance to buy B&G RD-75's's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pair of RD75's in an Airfoil Baffle

If anyone is interested I've got this pair of BG75's in an airfoil shaped baffle. The baffle was machined on a large bed CNC. I used them full range, crossed at 300Hz to a small JBL commercial cinema cab. The airfoil shaped baffle is the way to go. They sound great! And image superbly. I need to reduce my inventory of toys. If anyone is interested in them send me a private message.

Attachments

• BG75_1.jpg
    BG75_1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 379
  • LT_MAIN.jpg
    LT_MAIN.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 387
  • RT_MAIN.jpg
    RT_MAIN.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 359
Hii

I was going to build a monster planar system using the drivers from 2 pairs of Eminent Technology LFT 3's. I wound up building a 4 way horn system + dual 18" subs per channel instead. Perhaps one of you guys would like to build a system like this. I live in NYC (Brooklyn) but will not ship and will sell all these drivers pretty CHEAP. Google these speakers and picture 2x what you see !!! I was going to weld a frame from 2" angle iron and have 8 drivers per channel. These ET drivers are as good or better then other planar drivers out there. You can PM me if interested at joesnipe767@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Joe

For years I have lusted for these drivers and then they went out of business. I would be very interested in purchasing a pair.

@Atom666 clued us in that Hygeia is cloning many of their drivers:

????????

One of the main dudes behind Bohlender Graebner passed away a couple years ago, that may have contributed to their spotty distribution. I know Madisound was stocking clones for a few months, then put them all on clearance when the 'real deal' came back into stock. I have six BG drivers purchased over the last 15 years, and the quality control hasn't been spectacular. Not sure if it's adhesives or bad manufacturing, but my older NEO 3s don't measure well. My NEO 8s, source from GR Research, measure much better.

Then again, I bought my NEO 3s from PE, and I've long wondered if PE stocks clones or even has clones built for them. For instance, their NS3s that are labeled as being made by "Aurasound" are a bit different than my NS3s that I purchased from Madisound. I suspect they may be clones, passed off as the real deal.

On a side note, WTF is with all the ribbon cloning? I recall years ago, someone from HiVi accused Bob Carver of having their ribbons cloned. Those clones then wound up at PE, which is why the Parts Express ribbons look nearly indistinguishable from the Hi Vi ribbons. (BTW, the PE ribbons measure very nice :) )

m1-front-back-400-300.jpg

Hi-Vi Ribbon Tweeter

IMG_0764.JPG

Dayton Ribbon Tweeter

sunfire-crm-up-close-fig-1-tn.jpg

Bob Carver Ribbon Tweeter

Last edited:
Unfortunately All Gone.

I hate to tell you guys this but they are all gone. After waiting over a week I just found out that the fellow has sold them all and evidentally what he had, was not the number that I was initially told, "Which makes no sense". But either way.... "I was told on the order of 60+ for just the 75's". He kept saying he had to "Get to his warehouse".
I am new here and had seen the "Group buys'. I was hoping to put one together.
Sorry guy's....:mad:
I am back to buying the Neo8's from PE.......An expensive proposition.

no "Eh hm,..." about it - anything on sale for 20 years is prior art

Could we, Eh hm, Make some?

at least for hardware - that's the limit for patent coverage

Christe may have wanted the patents for the leaf tweeters but I'm fairly sure the RD-75 planar is no longer covered

you could send one to China and ask for exact duplicates by the shipping container load and no one has any legal right to stop you

although the steel frame may face a tariff....

Last edited:
Yea, it was a commercial large bed CNC. I supplied two blocks of glued up MDF, an engineered drawing and bag of $$.

The latter was the least fun of the three.

Um, I think there is some confusion here. Aren't those the speakers that I sold you? In fact isn't that a picture of my storage unit? I know I built those tube traps in the background and those are the tires from my 944 :)

I didn't build the speakers myself. I purchased them from a gentleman in Canada who apparently had them made.

I have owned three iterations of RD75 type speakers:

1) Original Wisdom Audio Dipoles using RD75 drivers
2) Newer Wisdom Audio Dipoles using the 6-turn driver and some passive components that they called the Smart Ribbons. I suspect this is a modified "pro" driver.
3) The black airfoil speakers that Carl Huff posted above. I didn't have room for them anymore and sold them to Carl.

They all sounded pretty similar. I think that (3) imaged the nicest but (2) played louder.

These speakers can do a lot of things amazingly well. However they also have some compromises and which I'm not certain are worth it or not. They sure are fun to play with though.

One thing I love about them is that the SPL doesn't really change as you move about the room.

A modern version with perhaps less resonance would be sweet!

"...they also have some compromises..."
Is resonance the biggest compromise? What are the others?

The systems I used all crossed over around 140hz to woofers and the transition always felt a bit unnatural to me. Also this limits the output of the drivers and they would get a bit distorted at louder volumes.

I'd love to try them crossed at 600hz to an array of traditional drivers to see if this helps.

Baffle diffraction also comes into play. I bet these drivers would shine in an infinite baffle situation with plenty of room behind them to absorb the rear wave.

I cannot wait to get those from Carl and try that baffle. The pair I did get from the fellow is up and running. With an Infinite baffle, The face of which I keep about 4.75' from the rear wall and also a few innovations about controlling diffraction of my own design, I am crossing them currently at 350Hz and waiting for crossover modules to get here to cross again at eight or nine Khz. I see what you mean about the fact that they aren't very loud. So keeping them through at least "most", of the vocal range should keep most of the imaging I think. and having my mid bass cabinets bring up the rear from 85Hz to 350Hz and "Once it gets here", (The module), to then use an separate array of 24-28 Neo3 tweeters. The tri-amping should bring the db up a bit. And help retain clarity. They do sound sweet. My subwoofers do not exactly hurt either.....
I was basically doing the same thing before with a line of twelve Neo8 drivers In lieu of the 75 but was having problems with coherency. But My Lord that set up was loud when I wanted it to be! I believe this will be the ticket I was looking for. My friends said that they had only heard that kind of level at concerts with good seats. And these have much less distortion of course! But at more appropriate volumes as well I am looking for near ultimate coherency that should be possible with the single ribbon. And the "line source", effects are quite nice too! Not getting blown away by volume as you walk forward to tweak or adjust is a definate plus.
I do plan on making some large mag-planars fairly soon regardless, so If anyone's interested........I have a partially updated design at this time but would love more input from those with experience with the larger ribbons. I still believe that they are our most feasible tool towards perfecting sound reproduction at this technological state. But should only be relegated to mid-bass though to about 9Khz for what "they" do best .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.