Amps for ESL's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey gang, I am curious about amps for ESL's and specifically Janszen 1-30.

There is a high pass filter before the 1:50 audio transformer. I was toying around with the idea of removing it and putting one before the power amp that is driving those panels. Being a reactive load the voltage and current aren't in phase and I was curious how much power is actually really needed, especially without the crossover before the audio transformer.

I vaguely remember being told the panels are something like 20pF each, and there is four of them.

I wonder if one could get away with using a high quality low power amp capable of delivering the voltage needed?

Attachments

• janszen_1-30_65_130_electrostatic_tweeters_after_sn_8253_sch.pdf_1.png
    janszen_1-30_65_130_electrostatic_tweeters_after_sn_8253_sch.pdf_1.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 244
Hi
May I ask why ? The high pass is only a cap & inductor. Just use a good quality cap, upgrade the inductor & you’ll still get great sound. Been mucking around with the XO of my ML Odyssey & have made vast improvements. If you like to test it out pls pm me. Will share some experiences with you

Cheers

I have had about 30 of the Janzen panels in the past....vary ezey to do what you wont with a small output...30 watt... tube amp....b+ of about 4-450v...well drive the panes right off the plats of the output tubes...best sound I got was with a hhscott 299c EL84 tube...
but in the end ...thay just never gave SPL.. output I wonted..sweet sound
good luck

I don't see much point in moving the crossover to before the amp, unless you are using an active crossover and you desire a particular slope and frequency that isn't offered by the post-amplifier passive filter.

In any case, I heartily recommend leaving the 1-ohm resistor is series with the transformer. It's purpose is to keep the impedance above a safe level, since the transformer can dip to a very low impedance at low frequencies.

I don't see much point in moving the crossover to before the amp, unless you are using an active crossover and you desire a particular slope and frequency that isn't offered by the post-amplifier passive filter.
Yes. You could drive the panels to lower freq if you had a sharp DSP crossover before the amp. That would get more bandwidth from the panels while still protecting them from being over-driven at too low freq.

Not to mention the other DSP EQ and other benefits.

I'll never forget the day I first heard 'em at the NY audio society demo, 1964(?).

Ben

Yes it would be fun to play around with options of the crossover point, and possibly have a steeper slope.

Quick calculations showed me that the load impedance of the panels is set by the passive filter. So why not ditch the passive filter and set a higher resistive load and drive it directly from a tube plate?

I meant drive the 1:50 transformer directly.
Unrealizable if you mean the existing step-up transformer. But around 1968, that is just what Mike Wright promoted. The sound was fantastic, not that his sound ever was any less.

BTW, maybe that is a concept that tube-adherents might consider today, if they can find the transformers, issuming they'd rather not go to Sanders' B+ voltages.

B.

Last edited:
famousmockingbyrd

Look likes were off track...or I am...hehe.....
you can setup a tube amps output tubes plats to drive the panels!.......
as long as the tube amps B+ is 400-450v...forget any transformer......this should give the best sound...that what I got years ago.
Or .. you can put a 1ohm 25-30watt res on the + primary input of the stock transformer...an drive it with any amps normal outputs!...the panels well not play full rang...so you have to feed the amp a crossover point like above 1500-2k...right?
Good luck

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.