Making panels aesthetically pleasing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see a ton of great threads in here on how to build planar transducers, be it electrostatic, ribbon, etc. What about making them look good after they're built?

Being into electronics and theory, I can make something work well, but I can't for the life of me make something look aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I just don't have an eye for art.

I'm here with an electrostatic panel and a "MRTW" (Midrange / Tweeter Ribbon) array from an Apogee Scintilla that I want to "dress up", so to speak...

Anyone in the so. cal area that can help with such things on the cheap? I'm an IT professional and can offer services in trade.. :)

I've often thought of, for example, buying a wardrobe mirror and removing the mirror and placing the electrostatic panel in it's place, for example - because I lack the tools and skills to do the woodworking / welding / painting and such.

For the Scintilla MRTW array, I'm obsessing on trying to figure out how to make it stand on it's own (thing weighs a ton and is super narrow and tall) which would probably be super easy for someone that can work with metal (build a stand / bracket).

Thoughts? Ideas?

A local cabinet maker will be able to do a very nice job for you. Show him pics of commercial speakers
that are roughly what you're looking for.

That is a good point - I'm hoping it be involved and learn something here as well. Maybe I can find someone that has the tools / wherewithal and is willing to teach and/or show me some stuff. I'd like to feel some sort of accomplishment here vs. just opening my wallet.

Narcotic, I'd use about a foot round 1/4" plate and powder coat it for the base, and make up a oak beveled frame around the mrt unit, I was thinking of doing the same with a Maggie for bass.
Al

Yeah I may just do that. Find a welder that can weld brackets to it to mount to the MRTW array. Would steel be OK considering there are a ton of magnets? Or would it need to be aluminum? Well, now that i think about it, the entire apparatus is made of steel, don't know how a foot would hurt.

Ideally though instead of just a circle stand, a "spider" stand (ala 4 legs) would be even cooler as then I could install spikes somehow to then put a tilt on the array, if I wanted. The new Carver Amazing line source speakers use something like this.

My ESL panels have sheets of lovely paisley fabric thrown over them. Happily, with REW test sweeps you can know exactly what effects a speaker cover has (zilch for my fabric).

Best stereo image I ever got was from a set-up with a curtain scrim hiding the entire wall of gear. Yes, we love to look at our handiwork but...

Here's a picture from 1979. About 30 x 48 inches. Same cloth today, on same panels, but floor standing.

B.

Attachments

• Belgravia HiFi No 79.jpg
    Belgravia HiFi No 79.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Narkotic:
Finding a local person to do the manufacturing makes sense, but you’ll still need to decide what sorts of designs strike your fancy—and that process can be assisted by folks from around the globe. Even if you feel you can’t design from scratch, I’m guessing you know which designs do, and which designs don’t, suit you. Maybe sharing some photos of the good, bad, and ugly, as you see them, would help others contribute more costructively to your quest. Once it’s more clear what you’re after it’ll be easier to help you get there.
Few

Narkotic,

I have done a lot in this area with large flat panels. The best technique IMO for the overly square look is to trick the eye by breaking the large panel up into long thin shapes. Do this with the grill basically.
So if you have a large squarish shape you can divide it up into a number of long tall thin and beautiful shapes by using a grill cloth that only covers the actual driver but doesnt cover the wings. This effectivly tricks the eye and makes spongebob square pants into runway material.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.