How to fix a tear in a Magnepan 1.4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They will not tell you! I spoke to Wendell Diller and he was as always very tight about giving any information. Besides, they will not sell you any Mylar.

As already mentioned, for good high frequency reproduction the Mylar should be rahter tightly tensioned. For bass, it is the opposite or even better to use a suitable tension for a desired low frequency response.

hmmm i dont think they got a magic mylar sauce, they might have had a particular width thats not common, they used 12 and even thicker mylar. they only use pure tension to stretch the mylar. no heating anywhere. also the reason it lowers after a while still. since the stated resonances printed on the panel is not what i measure with an older smga.

aah well who knows :) tension overall is importuned, you want it high but still being able to hit the lower resonance you want the speaker to reach. if it becomes to sloppy the high end will suffer. so to tailor the resonance down low you can play with the width of the panel and keep tension still as high as before.

My deal....
I wood never pay more than $100 for a working pr of MG1.4s are Smgas! An if I did not have a working pr of Maggys....
Why These speakers are 30 years old....the wire can pop by just changing owners...you know.... saler, I got a krell or a tube amp I been using for 20 years on these maggys never a prob...
Oh....I just got these of CL...running them on my recever or any diff amp change...playing them louder....you know just to see what thay do!.pop....
An who could say a word....30 years old...tweeter wire size of a hear...
No thanks! ...also here in the states...most wont a speakers the size of a cell phone...thay just site on CL....tuff sale... theres 3 pr on CL to day...
So I just wate till the wife says ....these big speakers go...are you go...then I get them for $20...the pr of MG1c I gave $10 for...play now...sound great..
So 250uros...you may end you right back were you are...
all just one mans finding......good luck

Attachments

• mh1 001.JPG
    mh1 001.JPG
    747.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
But look what we get with these mylar faceing back 30 years old Maggy panels.....in the pic above mg1c...there 15' from inside to inside....in a 18'X25'X14' room...there 8'feet off my chair... 2' off the back wall.....so that puts them 8' away faceing me .....
Sound stag...18'wide 10' high..... depth....like it gose on for ever...hehe
Big Full pin point image.....sweet tone fills the room....
One an only type sounds from what.... full rang flat panel made up of a peice of mylar... with two types wire...steel,rubber magnets ....wood board....
Lot of Fun.....great sound...

But look what we get with these mylar faceing back 30 years old Maggy panels.....in the pic above mg1c...there 15' from inside to inside....in a 18'X25'X14' room...there 8'feet off my chair... 2' off the back wall.....so that puts them 8' away faceing me .....
Sound stag...18'wide 10' high..... depth....like it gose on for ever...hehe
Big Full pin point image.....sweet tone fills the room....
One an only type sounds from what.... full rang flat panel made up of a peice of mylar... with two types wire...steel,rubber magnets ....wood board....
Lot of Fun.....great sound...

backfacing wires does not sound better :) they might have implement it wrong but turning wires towards you it is the only way to get a flatter response. although i must say they over did it in the 1.7 they sound thin to me :(

WrineX....I get your point...this sound is not about flat response...an I know it not magic..
the high frc cant be more than 16-18k...but you you feel as you miss nothing...for years we tried to put the wire.. mylar to the front ....but there was always a peak at the top end...that's why the Q ribbon came on the seen....I have rewired the MG1.4s with the Magnepan Q ribbon tweeter foil..an lost way to much output..like 3db diff in wire..all the new mylar front speakers all sound like the 1.7 to me.....
As you See Magnestand Mr gunns mods... put all the new Magnepans Mylar to the back in his mods with new crossover also....cant be just me that finds the big sound so for giving....
your work with this type speakers ...look like a step up from magnepan...keep going
thanks for your info....
It just a Vary for giving sound

WrineX....I get your point...this sound is not about flat response...an I know it not magic..
the high frc cant be more than 16-18k...but you you feel as you miss nothing...for years we tried to put the wire.. mylar to the front ....but there was always a peak at the top end...that's why the Q ribbon came on the seen....I have rewired the MG1.4s with the Magnepan Q ribbon tweeter foil..an lost way to much output..like 3db diff in wire..all the new mylar front speakers all sound like the 1.7 to me.....
As you See Magnestand Mr gunns mods... put all the new Magnepans Mylar to the back in his mods with new crossover also....cant be just me that finds the big sound so for giving....
your work with this type speakers ...look like a step up from magnepan...keep going
thanks for your info....
It just a Vary for giving sound

haha thats a funny mod. in the start everyone modded the panels backwards to have the wires towards you, now they all are gone do the opposite :) aah well yeah foil vs wire is losing soem output, im not so sure what they did in the newer versions i guess drop the output of the low end, since they did not change the magnets if i am correct. well i still have hope of reaching 18-20 khz with wires , and pointing towards you :) i bet it will work. i do agree that you hardly notice the last few Khz :)

Well have my SMGa's now. Feel like there is a lot more of the high end frequencies than even the proper working 1.4 speaker. I'm not missing the bass that much but maybe a dipole subwoofer will make a difference in it.

Going to the US soon and i'm seriously contemplating if i should get a fixed driver for 380 USD. Are the 1.4 worth it (Total cost is going to be at 380 USD + extra luggage fee + 125 EUR), will i be able to just replace 1 driver, matched pairs are going to set me back 680 USD and that's just a bit to close to a good set of 1.6/1.7.

And, given that i have a SMGa, is it worth the effort?

I must say, the SMGa is nice, but god, the 1.4 is a really nice piece of furniture!

I would have the pr of MG1.4s re-worket....these older type...1.4-Smga, sound way diff with the mylar playing out the back...I don't like the sound of the MMG-1.6 or the 1.7i...that I owned...so you well have to hear them at a shop...I have a lot of speakers...Big an small....I have two small powered bass -sub boxes I use with the all speakers... most end up... useing these boxes with the 1.6-1.7i or even with the...3.7i also...these bas boxes are at a fair price to day...the SMga with two boxes....sweet tone but this is me.... I have owned minny Magnepans....Smga give 90% of the best sound of all maggys an can be drive well with a sweet sounding tube amp.....good luck have fun

Mr Gunn over at Magnestan has been puting the Series crossover..... like the SMga has in all Magnepans he re-works..like the MG1.4,MMG,1.6,..years longer then Magnepan... Series crossovers..... just sound right!
An the Smga has only one mylar butten on the mylar....but if you don't go...you well never know...it the same for us all,with this hobby.
But now you can wate for other maggys to show up....are do like a lot of us an just go to the next step.....an go to the panel king .....ESLs or ribbons speakers..
I have always said I think....Magnepans can give 80% of the best sound any panels made.....all just one mans 40 years of findings....lot of fun for sure...

the series crossover does nothing for me to be honest. also putting it in random designs does not work. the reason it worked for this panel is the the tweeter and bass portion overlap and most of all the baffle compensation fits in. if the panel was larger or smaller the filter would not work. you either have to little compensation for the openbaffle part and it will shout in your face. or the tweeter is crossed to low etc. its not a trick that can be implented in al models... the reason why they dont have it in all models but only 1 or 2. not because it sounded to good and was so cheap.... since you save one a cap :)

Mr gunn test an makes series crossover for the other Magnepans...an has always sheard his work with others...just e-mail him...if you have other maggys...hes even done some of the MG3.6 I think...he makes them a two way...he all so save No money...he uses vary high cost... good sound parts in his work...but that him....as for what you like are think is great ....for you!...I would never speak for others...what thay like an don't like!

An do I think Magnepan is all about saveing money...yes...an as I stated before...thay put the hold speaker togather for vary little money...you should no...you have paid for the wire an rubber magnic .....thay even make there own input post...that's on there new $30k speakers....same as there $600 mmgs...looks like it works for them....have fun good sound for little $$...so I say...but I have had more than one pr of Magnepans...

As I know...about the MG3.6s...he put the mid-bass togathere...Who-why would anyone get rit of the ribbon?....
But most of his work is on the 2 ways..Smga,MMg MG12,MG1.6s..
look from my point ...these maggy are like your diy work...you end up with a big full rang driver...yes it a 2 way...but one peace of mylar.
Wont see others pulling that off...right....fits the ear like a glove..well close..an fun

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.