Curved Electrostatic Speaker V2 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the interest of amplifiers, how do I find a suitable one for these stats? I had no idea about the difficult load that electrostatic speakers presented in my previous projects and I guess i just got lucky with my setup. My last amp was this Sony Reciever. I would probably use this again except for that in stereo it automatically applies a high pass filter (and I'm not exactly sure how/where it applies this). I know to look for a low impedance capability and a high output voltage, but the voltage isn't usually listed. This Onkyo M-282 seems like a reasonable choice, but altogether I'm not exactly sure. I'm also interested in those Class-D amps from PE, but I don't have experience with those and there seems to be limited info on whether they're truly Hi-Fi.
If someone could offer advice on this dilemma it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm starting to lose sleep over making the wrong choice!

Thank you in advance,
Ben

I assume you are building a hybrid ESL with a resistor segmented wire panel? If so, that's a much easier load for the amp than [let's say] a ML panel. However; unless you know how to build a passive crossover for it (I wouldn't), then you will need an active crossover (preferably a DSP crossover) and two amplifiers. A receiver would not be the best choice; although you could use one if it has a pre-out to drive a second amplifier for bi-amping.

ICE makes a plate amp with built in Mini-DSP that may be a good fit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.