FPS Flat Panel Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody have any experience with these?

Magnetic planar.

https://fps.tokyo/
Flat Panel Speakers FPS USA

Available at FPS USA Flat Speakers and Shop | Flat Panel Speakers | Planar Transducers | OEM | Flatt Speakers

Used here: StereoTimes - FPS Model F1 Flat-Panel Hybrid Speaker System

But the only thing I've found on this forum is posts from folks like me asking if any one has any experience with them. The most recent was 2014, with no response. The next most recent a decade prior. So these are hardly new.

The seem like they must be in the budget, 'just ok' quality realm, except for the use by Von Schweikert.

Their half-inch wide models look great for an array, but I haven't been able to find a word about sound quality.

So... anyone?

Looks like.....we here in the USA, are so great again...Diyed Planars & Exotics speaker are not needed anymore....or much...less it the size of a cell-phone....
I don't wont.. to sound old....hehe
I saw these years back with there rubber like surround...look like thay would sound great.
Happy new years....2018...
Wow.... here I sit with a pr of 9" wide 97" tall flat 2 panel tall ESLs from the 1970...Acoustat 1+1 being driving to the helt.. by a dynaco tube amp made in the 1950s...what dose that say for me..
Have fun life is short...

Last edited:
This flat speaker will need multiple coils to keep cone distortion down and stabilize movement.
I don't think it has even remotely to do with sq.
Also they compare it with a B(uy) O(ther) S(ound) E(quipment) 802 which is pretty easy to beat.
Then marketing claims which don`t hold true in the real world such as the usual spherical (only) and their uniform spread of sound.
And then even less specs than B(uy) O(ther) S(ound) E(quipment).
I don`t know...

Hi,

I tried a pair some time back. Was not impressed, the speaker had pretty low efficiency and it had very low power handling. So definitely could not go loud. Maybe if you put 12 in array, the efficiency improves and it would be loud enough. But as a standalone, not quite.

Oon

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Their half-inch wide models look great for an array, but I haven't been able to find a word about sound quality.

So... anyone?

I've got a design using 64 of them on each side, but it's a big project and it's going slowly. It uses a 20-channel amplifier (per side) with programmable delay on each channel so you can adjust the "curvature". The amplifier boards have been done for a while, and I recently finished the cabinets--solid locally grown cherry. Still have lots of wiring followed by a good bit of software development. But it's getting worked, however slowly.

I like the sound of each FPS tweeter, and I think the array will sound very good.

The tweeters are the FPS-0202M, which have 4 voice coils and magnets.
Line_array.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wow, that's a lot of work.

The woodworking went surprisingly quickly. There was a lot of repetitive work that required appropriate anesthetizing procedures (lots of beer), but it wasn't nearly as tedious as I expected. And it was only 48 tweeters--got the number wrong.

The bigger challenge was that 20-channel amp, which still needs software and more testing. I know the amps work, but there are 3 ADAU1701 chips on each board, and I built these back before I switched to using Arduino tools for DSP control. I'll have to wait for another day of profound inspiration to return to assembly code writing. The amp boards are shown below.

But I don't want to hijack this thread. The OP was about the FPS tweeters. Here is a secret source where you can get the small FPS tweeter for $1: MINI-FLAT-PANEL SPEAKER | All Electronics Corp. . It's not the "high-end" version that PE sells with the larger magnets and greater sensitivity, but the SQ should be representative of the technology. Last time I checked, they still had about 180 of them.

BTW, the 2" drivers in the array (32 per side) are also from All Electronics--$1.75 each in quantity.

line_array_amp_stuffed.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Does anybody have any experience with these?

...They seem like they must be in the budget, 'just ok' quality realm, except for the use by Von Schweikert...

So... anyone?

I know that Dennis Murphy used an FPS driver for a prototype for a large Salk speaker (for the midrange), and he spoke positively about it. That was probably about 8 years ago. I think they abandoned that driver due to a combination of availability and QC issues, but Dennis would be able to fill you in on that design decision.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.