Viawave GRT-145 - a Russian magnetostatic planar tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.viawave.ru

It has closed rear chamber which correts the problems with distortion and ragged response. Sensitivity is a bit on the high side because of the waveguide, but is that a problem really?
perspective.jpg

Troels Gravesen has some units and has already tested them and made some speaker plans for it

"Overall frequency response is flat, for my measurements a bit flatter than suggested by Viawave. Measurements suggest 95-97 dB sensitivity in the 1-3 kHz range rising some 100-102 dB sensitivity from 4 kHz to 18 kHz. Quite impressive although I would prefer a higher impedance and lower sensitivity as most speaker constructions rarely require more than 88-92 dB sensitivity. This would also save quite some money in good capacitors for the crossover.
Viawave-GRT-145_II_hor-disp_0-10-20-30-40_red.png

Distortion is very low, even down to 1 kHz @ 2.8V (100 dB) and suggest even an LR2 filter at 2 kHz may be possible, not a common feature of most smaller ribbons.
Viawave-GRT-145_II_dist_0.25m_-18.2_red.png

Impedance is fairly flat and makes crossover work easy. I have simulated the ribbon with four of my constructions and this suggests easy implementation. Due to depth of the ribbon, only modest stepped baffle may be necessary."

I attached wrong picture, that is GR850 and it has just felt in rear chamber. The GRT145 is claimed to have mylar strips that are U-shape. Perhaps the service pdf just lacks them, patent pending?

This is GRT145 with flat front plate.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The earlier model GR850 has waveguide and the response is perhaps easier to implement in passive systems
fr_0_30_60.png

Hi,

they claim a sealing between diaphragm and the magnets, but in their Replacement-Repair-pdf there is no seal to find.
Is it a translation error that mixes the special diaphragm shape with a seal or is it simply a marketing misinformation?

jauu
Calvin
Hope this helps
In "VK" "FB" and the site itself, the only mentioning of the seal per say is:
"the gap between the magnets' poles and a ribbon is sealed by U-shape suspension made of PET film ..."
Claims are lower distortions higher efficacy and no acoustical "short circuit".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.