Magnepan MMG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a pair of MMG after reading all reviews everywhere. I can see it provides ambience and spacial width etc but I do t think it is the best midrange I heard before. It does most part of sound reproduction reasonably well but does not think excels in anything.
What are your thoughts ?

The older Magnepans as you may know....had whats called there ...pole peace... the medel peace with the magnets on ... in front, mylar in back....Then Magenpan in 1991 ... turn them around....put the mylar in the front ......to my ears bad move..
BUT MMG never sounded right to me.....look at the mylars buttems....one of the speakers has 3....the other has one....I think magnepan thought the MMG sounded too good...an thay could not sale there other speakers like the1.6 -1.7 for3-4 times the money...
When Magnepan made the SMGa 1986 thay had only one butten each....one of the best
Souding speakers thay evey made....same size panels as the MMGs

But there a guy that dose mods on the MMGs an other 1.6 1.7....were turns the MMgs mylar to the back....like the older ones......Ck out peter Guns site...there to help get best sound....great wood work...killer looking speakers.....All one mans findings...good luck
Magnestand

Attachments

• new_mmg_magnepan[1].jpg
    new_mmg_magnepan[1].jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 758
  • DSC01968[1].jpg
    DSC01968[1].jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 572
  • all04[1].jpg
    all04[1].jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
One can come up with explanations but they are clearly a step ahead of most similar priced boxed speakers. But I guess is a jack of all trades type situation here. I am biased against speakers with crossovers in Midrange , or at least I get fatigue by listening to them.

One can come up with explanations but they are clearly a step ahead of most similar priced boxed speakers. But I guess is a jack of all trades type situation here. I am biased against speakers with crossovers in Midrange , or at least I get fatigue by listening to them.

Yes being in this Audio bizz for over 40 years.....I like panel type speakers!....Maggie Guru!....NO...just owner.
But most don't!..BIG..Not as dynamic ....not ezey to drive...
Magnepan sound great for the money,that a fact!
An I have liket owning the.... Smga, Smgc,MG1c,MG2c,MG3a,MG2.5r,....Not so much.... MMg,Mg1,7...
But Vary hard too a panel lover...to not like what I call a flat, big Single Driver Speaker....even with two voice coils on it one sheet of Mylar....fits the ear like a glove....No way can a 10"12"1"3" driver in a box keep up with that flat sound wave........WEll to my ears anyway...
I never ment to say thay were not good speakers...and with Peter Guns mods ....some say there up there with the best sound ever...

All things Audio I know for sure is.....if you don't go-own you don't know!
All just one mans finding...have fun...good luck

I had looked at the peter gunn site, but the diagrams described for my SMG model were nothing like what I actually had, so I never read much further.
What I wound up with was a cap replacement of 3 X 5uf arcotronics(Kemet C27) + 1uf Russian K71-5.
This replaced the 17uf electrolytic part in a series crossover, and is very clear with no sibilance, punchy bass.

Has anyone tried flipping the mmg around to see if they play better?

Mr Gun puts..His,that he came up with.. series crossover...in all his MMG, 12,1.6-1.7 mods.....then he flipping them around.......
He did the series cross over ... years before Magnepan went back to series type crossover.thay now.use in all there new speakers ...But the mmg!

Email him he well help you with the crossover...an parts years of his work have been the best sounding....hes a great, helpful man....

Right Dave. Using exotics parts change sound in your brain in my experience but not the real sound. The cross over still going to be right in the middle of Midrange frequency. They are revealing and accurate speakers. Not forgiving to bad recordings. All these goes against what I have in my collection.

Right Dave. Using exotics parts change sound in your brain in my experience but not the real sound. The cross over still going to be right in the middle of Midrange frequency. They are revealing and accurate speakers. Not forgiving to bad recordings. All these goes against what I have in my collection.

Help me out here....what $600 pr of speaker do you own that don't have a
Crossover in the Midrang frequency.....an are revealing and accurate speakers, an are forgiving to bad recordings?

well,you read me wrong! revealing can not be forgiving to bad recordings, right? What I said was MMG are very revealing,so I cant use my collection with them.At the same point they are not the best in midrange.FF125WK seems better to me for midrange.
Most FR speakers can be crossed over away from mid band. I know big maggies are better from hearing them before. But need big room too. Everything is a trade off.

You can see on this site ............not a lot into Magnepan,been over to Planar Speaker Asylum....I bet there are people there that can tell you what your missing with the MMgs.
All I can say....after over 40 years of owing-buying speakers....sill looking!
Have fun ...good luck

I've been playing with a set of rebuilt SMGa, I can't see the rave about them, their mid bass heavy and destroy female voice in the lower freq, the wire tweeter ribbon glued to the mylar doesn't get up to 16khz, they can be seductive, but thats short lived when listening to them criticely.

Account Closed
Joined 2001
There's no xo in the area thats f--ked up lol

The crossover in the SMG's is broad, series, and (partially) mechanical.

Also, I'm not sure what type of issues might have been incurred with your "rebuild" job. That might be a variable as well.
If they sound f--ked up, then I'd say there is something wrong with them.

Regardless, these are entry-level Magnepan's and if you were expecting Apogee-killers, you'd most likely be disappointed. :)

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.