Magnepan MMG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple a other things I should mention, I raised them a foot off the floor with custom frame, it reinforced the bass, work best straight up and down on vertical, more midrange, when eq'd flat they sound good, added an Infinity Emit to enhance HF, sound pretty good, EQ fixed the vocal area:) and few tweaks gave them a new life.

yeah, was off a fair bit, cut mid bass , mids boosted, added the emit to get to 16hz flat and rolled off from there. Like to get a laptop and mic, and use rewind on them. I bought the smga off an inmate, he delivered them to me, 120 mile one way, just so he could listen to all my systems, he has 3.6 as well at home. He really liked the RS1b, but didn't like the bass towers, said he could hear a slight cone sound, But he did love the Divas, he figured the Accustat 2+2 were fast and very nuetral, but lacked a bit in soundstage, but I do have them set up for HT.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Yeah, the mid boost doesn't surprise me at all. Especially for those users who listen to a lot of vocals. This is not an unusual equalization adjustment to make.

The Magnestand crossovers all boost the midrange response of the speakers quite a bit, and this is the primary reason users seem to like them. Somewhere in the middle between stock and a hugely boosted Magnestand midrange is where I prefer them. :)

The tweeter extension thing is unsolvable by equalization means. So, your addition of a super-tweeter is something that numerous users have tried as well.

Dave.

The basic tonal balance wasn’t that bad to begin with with my SMGs anyways.
That’s why I stuck with my original crossover design, just ditched the electrolytic caps, and am now enjoying the sounds in my brain, versus those real sounds that is. Better parts have greatly reduced the beaming that these have also, but maybe some like that as well?

Account Closed
Joined 2001
Dave, Do smga's use electrolytic caps???I can see an inductor through the sock.

Nope. You'll find a polyester-film capacitor of some sort in there. Magnepan generally doesn't use electrolytic capacitors unless a large value is required. And if so, they will shunt with lower value poly caps to achieve the value and keep the diameters smaller so they fit without bulging the covering sock.

However, I don't know what type of modifications were done in your friends rebuild. Easiest way would be to not speculate and lift the sock and actually look.

Dave.

You got go back to 1986s......I had more than one pr....electrolytic were used only..... in the SMGa...for sure in the SMG..an others
An NO.....were Not ...shunt with lower value poly caps to achieve the value and keep the diameters smaller so they fit without bulging the covering sock..

An it been Over 20 years that I paid over $100 for a Pr.....
I Say great sound Too my ears..... SMGa An the MG1c are the Best sounding Magnepans Made....Mybe only because..... They only have one Mylar buttem....I have the 1c to day.....

Attachments

• mc1[1].jpg
    mc1[1].jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Peter Gun post his Mods for all to use....yeas ago for the SMGa an MMg...
I have used these crossovers ...an others from him.....like most, I have found thay sound great....have fun

Attachments

• SMGa[1].gif
    SMGa[1].gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 379
  • MMGxo[1].jpg
    MMGxo[1].jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 387
Also for people looking to up upgrade... caps, coils. wire....the ones used in his crossovers are listed....minny were tested....these Sound great with Magnepans...an I know he,s has found others today...these crossovers were posted years
back......
By the way,I don't know Peter Gunn.... The owner of Magnestand.....But hes always been glad help Diyners ...like us get the best sound ...out of any speaker.....
If i am lucky...in a small way, I like to try...too do the same.

have fun..............."Happy holidays" to all

Last edited:
Mods to Maggies

The preceding comments are interesting, including those TSU made about Peter Gunn's work. I was reading earlier today with great interest some comments DAVEY made on another site about the series crossovers Magnepan uses.

But, after spending about 3 hours so far today, I cannot find anything that would tell me how to modify my .7's. Not the 1.7, the .7

I don't believe I'm hijacking this thread, because many people are interested in modifying these smaller Maggies. I just happen to have a good electronic crossover, and would like to try bi-amping my.7. That series crossover confuses me. Davey, can you help?

Anyone?

I've never heard a "Gunned" Magnepan, so cannot make any worth while comments about it. His work is certainly beautiful.

I would contact Mr Gunn....thought the Magnstan site...he well tell you what you can do to get the best out of your spekers...I don't think he like the new .7....I don't know why...but if I owned .7 I would wont to get his feed back....then I would play the .7 in my room...my home....an it thay sound good to me...that would be that...
I guess I am diff than most...but I don't think one pr of any speakers can make me happy..... all the time..
I have a lot of speakers....but I live alone...have a sound room...an I can have what I wont...but I get the Diy thing... an do some my self...but the .7 are new...an the series crossovers is the best sounding passive...but it all about what you wont....
post pic of the crossover an the panels wires input...an we here well give input...help any way we can....

Account Closed
Joined 2001
The .7 speaker can bi-amped just like all the Maggie models. I haven't seen a crossover schematic for the .7 so can't analyze it to establish a set of baseline curves to work from, but I imagine it's very similar to the MMGi.

The steps to bi-amp a Magnepan speaker are always the same, in my opinion. Establish exactly what the electrical transfer functions are to each driver using the stock crossover. Then remove/disable the passive crossover and recreate an active crossover with the same curves. You can then adjust/tweak from that point.....if you so choose.

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.