Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

ML Odyssey lower volume on 1 panel
ML Odyssey lower volume on 1 panel
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2017, 06:32 AM   #1
sumotan is offline sumotan  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default ML Odyssey lower volume on 1 panel

Hi Guys

Need help. 1 panel on my Odyssey has gone down in volume.
It still sounds normal just lower volume. I vacuum panels once a month
so dust should not be the problem. Have search the threads here & seems to indicate that bias voltage could be the issue. Question without a high voltage dvm or scope, is there a passive way to measure the bias board just with a Dvm

Thank in advance
Old 18th November 2017, 10:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Problem solved

Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 03:30 AM   #3
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

What did you determine the problem was?
From the PM you sent I wasn't sure if you solved the problem or not.

If you are still experiencing problems, the first thing you need to do is confirm if the problem is in the power supply, or in the panel. The easiest way to do this is swap the power supply boards between the two speakers. If the problem of lower volume follows the power supply board, you have confirmed you are dealing with a power supply problem. If the lower volume stays with the same panel even when swapping power supply boards, you are likely dealing with a panel that has a poor HV contact with the diaphragm coating or has developed some leakage paths which are loading down the HV bias supply.
Old 19th November 2017, 04:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Bolserst,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have swap the HV bias board & indeed it sounds louder.
That's why I was asking for advice & guidance.

Thank you
Old 19th November 2017, 11:49 AM   #5
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Sumotan.....
I get ML Prodigy,Odyssey,Ascend I....SL3.....with bad or low output from one of the panels....thay all use the same HV bias...to day thay were $100.US..I have found more the one of these bias boards with the first one are two or any I think there 4-6... 15meg res is open,cooket there only 1/4 watt..right befor the panel bias red wire output......an that CANBe.....the cause, if your lucky...of the panel output drop...
if you can you may like too ck before you pay.....good luck
Old 19th November 2017, 12:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Tyu
Thanks for the reply. May I ask, are the stators easy to
to remove without destroying the mylar film for diy
recoating work ?

Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 02:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Bolserst

Was searching through this forum on bias board issues. Came across
you mentioning of red led should be lit when sensing signal. Question,
my bias boards does not lit up at all but music was playing through the
panels.

Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 03:25 PM   #8
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

NO!....
Not on the ML Prodigy,Odyssey,Ascend I...there side reals are made with the panels as one peace....if you get new panels.... panels come as one peace...
ML made a big error on this type setup!...The panels can an have fell out of a 10k pr of .Prodigy... as well Odyssey,Ascend I..thats why I only pay $100 for a pr of any ML like this...must have been others befor the 10cent fix thay came up with...Nuts right....
You do have the FIX on your panels??....if not call ML an get it...free!...when panels slip down the wire gets ripet from the panels....people cant fix... call for new panels....you know...$1500-2000....NOT ....for most...who well thay get put the panels in?..thay just get new speakers....just what ML planed...most not new ml...

SL3 type with wood reals ezer...only way I would pull the other like your Odyssey... is if there not given output to match the other panels output then you have nouthing to lose...then its a shot in the dark if you can get the panels apart.with out riping the mylar......good luck
Old 19th November 2017, 03:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks again Tyu
Old 20th November 2017, 04:03 AM   #10
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
I have swap the HV bias board & indeed it sounds louder.
That's why I was asking for advice & guidance.
Ok, so you have narrowed the problem to the HV bias board.
The first stage of the HV multiplier is 300VDC, so you can test it with a standard DVM.
To measure, set your DVM to highest DC voltage scale and place probes to the C12 lead wires as shown in the attached top and bottom views of the board. Compare the voltage reading across C12 on both boards to see if they are similar or if the quieter board has a lower reading. Let us know what you find out.

If they both read close to the same voltage, the next likely suspect is the resistors that Tyu mentioned. I put a yellow box around them in the top view of the board. There are 6, and each should measure as 10Mohm. Sometimes one or more can fail and read a much higher resistance.

NOTE: For the 300VDC measurement, the power supply must be plugged in and music playing so the auto ON/OFF has been triggered to the ON state. Once triggered, it should stay in the ON state for 5 - 10 minutes even if the music is turned off.
Attached Images
File Type: png HV_test_top.png (938.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: png HV_test_bot.png (814.9 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by bolserst; 20th November 2017 at 04:20 AM.

ML Odyssey lower volume on 1 panelHide this!Advertise here!