Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

The Magnepan Tympani 1D Ribbon Project
The Magnepan Tympani 1D Ribbon Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2017, 04:05 PM   #31
MartinTM is offline MartinTM  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, the Tympani is a mechanical three way, electrical two way. Two bass panels crossed at 1.2khz and a mid/high planar driver to go from there. The tweeter is oriented in such a way that it's close to the bass panels like the Apogee.

So effectively, we're just talking about traditional theory for an OB dipole, then? The baffle is quite large in comparison to the driver, it's as wide as the bass panel and has a lot of 'dead space' that isn't being used. It does have small cutouts placed however, i'm assuming this is so sound can pass through for the dipole effect to take more precedent.

It sounds to me like the best idea would be to set the ribbon up, and move the magnets as close as possible to the ribbon while playing a 100hz test tone and move the magnets as close as possible while listening very closely for any rubbing. Similar to how some would play a test tone through a woofer during a refoam job.

Again, thank you for the info Lowmass, you are being very kind helping me out here, I am really excited to get this project started!
Old 13th October 2017, 06:57 PM   #32
RogerGustavsson is offline RogerGustavsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTM View Post
I did via the magnepan facebook group, no bueno.
Are Magnepan Inc. on facebook? You should ask Magnepan directly. E-Mail is often problematic. Sometimes they answer, sometimes not. As far as I know, Magnepan may still have some tweeters in stock.

Tympani tweeters can be repaired if they are not completley distroyed. In most cases the plastic film (Mylar of unknown type) is melted from overload. The film can replaced but it is not possible to get the thin wire Magnepan used. I have cut long strips of aluminium foil as replacement for the wire. Yes, it is an awful job but not imposible. It is also possible to use a thinner plastic film with the foil, an upgrade over the original tweeters.

The ribbon tweeters made by Magnepan cannot replace the original Magneplanar type of tweeters as they are limited to higher frequences. Another drawback, is that Magnepan placed the tweeter too far from the bass drivers, giving strange beaming and reducing the listening sweet spot to almost nothing. Apogee had the tweeter far closer to the bass and gave a better soundstaging.
Old 14th October 2017, 05:25 PM   #33
GregDunn is offline GregDunn
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
Magnepan told me.....thay do not sale are have any more 36ga tweeter wire
An Do not have any more of the old push-pull wire tweeter used in any of the Tympani.... thay never re-wired the old push -pull tweeters.... thay sold hold new old stock tweeters....there out....thay sold...for $400-450ea....

So now yes... the bass panels can be re-wired by Magnepan....$250ea
So if you are getting tweeter from Magnepan for your Tympani 1c...that's news.....but I think not!

let us all know?.....thanks
.I have work in the Audio biz from 1980s owned Magnepans an dealt with them from that time...great people to work with
thay never miss lead ones........
Yes, I talked to Gary the production manager just a few days ago. The quote they sent me indicates that they are rebuilding my low, mid AND high frequency (tweeter) panels on the 1C to original factory specs. And since the tweeter panels are push-pull (I looked closely at them when I removed the socks) it's clear that they are still repairing newer versions of the Tympani. They specifically are not repairing 1B or older models.

I also spoke directly to the repair tech when I dropped my speakers off, and she has a jig which can be adjusted to put the wires on each type of panel; she showed me the rolls of wire. Now maybe they aren't selling the wire to customers any more, but...
Old 14th October 2017, 05:35 PM   #34
WrineX is offline WrineX  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

buy the wires somewhere like wires.co.uk

if you can masure the old ones still ? at least the thickness

Last edited by WrineX; 14th October 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:37 PM   #35
RogerGustavsson is offline RogerGustavsson  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Well, the tweeters of the IC have a thicker wire than the ID. You can rebuild a IC tweeter with the flat wire (foil) used the the 20-series midrange driver. IC is about 7.4 Ohm, IC is more like 4.7 Ohm. With the foil you can also tell MAgnepan to use the thinner Mylar used in some Tympani mids.
Old 14th October 2017, 07:12 PM   #36
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDunn View Post
Yes, I talked to Gary the production manager just a few days ago. The quote they sent me indicates that they are rebuilding my low, mid AND high frequency (tweeter) panels on the 1C to original factory specs. And since the tweeter panels are push-pull (I looked closely at them when I removed the socks) it's clear that they are still repairing newer versions of the Tympani. They specifically are not repairing 1B or older models.

I also spoke directly to the repair tech when I dropped my speakers off, and she has a jig which can be adjusted to put the wires on each type of panel; she showed me the rolls of wire. Now maybe they aren't selling the wire to customers any more, but...
Thanks for your time.....vary good news.....
But I well pass myself on a pr 1C Tympani.....for $1000.+shipng...good luck
Old 15th October 2017, 11:02 PM   #37
MartinTM is offline MartinTM  United States
diyAudio Member

Please keep in mind, the one on my set was too far gone. I have the wire, glue, and everything. I can't purchase an assembled tweeter as they wont build them. I appreciate the talk but let's keep this on the topic of ribbons.

The Magnepan Tympani 1D Ribbon ProjectHide this!Advertise here!