A truly alternative exotic DIY build. Worth a LooK!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hopefully out of everything you have seen today, this has been the most original, though crude, exotic speaker driver you've come across???

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Video of it in action -
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/22182416_924280674377199_4606534510098513920_n.mp4

Loosely designed using two existing technologies; Piston and Wave-bending. This is a Omni-directional driver I constructed earlier this year. Though it worked, it doesn't exist today as I dropped it - Butterfingers!

It wouldn't have won any awards, but the internal driver was interesting as it consisted of a brushless rotatory motor with mini magnets glued to the petals internally.

I hope it was worth a look. ;)

Hopefully out of everything you have seen today, this has been the most original, though crude, exotic speaker driver you've come across....
Love to see your acoustic measurements. Not to mention performance specs for the mega-dollar commercial version.

Seems to me a pretty loopy way to try make precise sound waves (like low harmonic distortion that is expected of a quality driver). Half a dozen aspects of this cute design shout "not linear, not linear...." at least to my judgment from a distance.

Having said such unkind things, I would just ask, I wonder what we can learn from your experience or how to make such a device better?

B.

Last edited:
and the MBL does not use a rotary motor. :) but just plain old coils in rather common magnets as we know it :).

but i cant seem to figure out where a motor would be in this design...

And HI ! James M :) Joppe here :)

Hey Joppe, The motors were within the petals. I may remake this in the near future, but the issue I had with this design was the size of the surface area of the resonator...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.