Anyone looking to use Hygeia (Airborne) AMT tweeters in their designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would definitely like to order a few. Mostly for a home theater system but also for a stereo system. But before I tell you which I want I have a question and I am hoping that you (OscarS or anybody else with experience with these drivers) , based on your experience with the drivers might be able to answer so that I can decide which ones to order. Specifically I am wondering if there is much "tonal" difference between the RT-5002 and the RT-4001. I am space constrained for my LCR so that it will be difficult to use the the RT-5002 in that position, but I would still like to use the RT5002 for the left and right channels since they seem to have lower distortion and other advantages. Based on your auditioning of the drivers (I have never heard them) do you think there would be much difference in tonal/sound quality if I were to use the RT-4001 for the center and the RT-5002 for the left and right channels?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would definitely like to order a few. Mostly for a home theater system but also for a stereo system. But before I tell you which I want I have a question and I am hoping that you (OscarS or anybody else with experience with these drivers) , based on your experience with the drivers might be able to answer so that I can decide which ones to order. Specifically I am wondering if there is much "tonal" difference between the RT-5002 and the RT-4001. I am space constrained for my LCR so that it will be difficult to use the the RT-5002 in that position, but I would still like to use the RT5002 for the left and right channels since they seem to have lower distortion and other advantages. Based on your auditioning of the drivers (I have never heard them) do you think there would be much difference in tonal/sound quality if I were to use the RT-4001 for the center and the RT-5002 for the left and right channels?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

It's hard to say because, I don't know know about everyone else, but I can't really audition just a tweeter by itself, it has to be implemented with a midrange below it (or midbass, or woofer, or whatever). I think it's because my brain is too hard-wired to hear guitar, which is my forté. My brain wants to hear a full range guitar signal, and when it doesn't it goes into blue-screen error mode, lol.

What I can do for you, however, is take FR and distortion measurements of the 4001 so you can compare them to the RT-5002. I can tell you for sure that it won't go as low simply because of the smaller size, but I'm sure you already know that.

In-room FR (including reflections) of the RT-5002:
uc

Distortion measurement of the RT-5002, in-room, mic 1" from speaker. Graph only goes up to 10k by default.
uc

I should be able to take some measurements of the 4001 soon. The nasty 2nd/3rd order harmonic distortion peaks is due to the ever so tiny resonance of the folded membrane. Yup, even these cannot escape Mother Nature. I'm going to try and tame it with a notch filter to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Allow me to clarify a few things.

• You wouldn't actually be buying from me, so I can't accept paypal payments. The manufacturer in China only accepts bank wire transfer. That is how I placed my initial order last October ($428).
    • Luckily on that order, I wasn't hit with any US Customs Import Duties/Fees. Talk about being worried about a lot of money being sent overseas with no recourse to retrieve it should something go wrong.

• The timing is very long. It took them nearly 3 months because they had to order some faceplates. Hopefully they have them in stock this time around, but I don't know as I'm not there at the factory.

• So while yes, you'd have to send me the money (assuming you want in on a consolidated order together with mine) in a non-paypal form so I could then send it to them,
    • I can't be responsible for your cash should you get impatient/worried/whatever and then want to file a paypal claim against me. I won't be going that route what so ever.
    • Obviously this buying opportunity isn't for everyone.
      • If I wasn't such a nice guy, I could have kept all this to myself from the very beginning anyways, because I did all the work. I don't need anyone to participate in this purchase with me at all to "make it happen", I buy/order my own things at will because I can. I will order my own things regardless if zero people want to order along with me.

• If you want to order them yourself and do your own wire transfer, I can give you their email. But let me warn you, it is a lot of work.
    • Their English and overall communication is horrible..
    • They sometimes check their email only once every 2 weeks.
    • Their English and overall communication is horrible.
    • They couldn't even answer me in simple words if they had received my bank wire transfer. <--If that alone scares you, then this isn't a purchasing opportunity for you.
    • But they did email me confirmation when the order was sent, and they did come through.
    • Their English and overall communication is horrible.
    • Would it have hurt me significantly if I had lost all those $428? Not really. Sure it would suck a&# if I had, but I don't see it any different from having wasted that much on a previous relationship that didn't work out. How much money do we lose wining & dining our [now] ex-gf/ex-wives/etc? A lot, I bet. Do we recover? Sure. That's how I see it and my own personal approach when evaluating these kinds of "risks".

So like I said, maybe this isn't the group buy for you if you feel "risk". I do have faith in the vendor, and I will place my order regardless, just as I did this past October.

Here is the in-room frequency response (including room reflections) of the RT-4001, with ~1W input. 2.15V into 4.5 Re.
uc

I should have the distortion graph maybe this weekend. Something was off so I wasn't trusting the measurements I was getting (too high), and replicating the graphs of previously measured drivers were also off, so I have some troubleshooting to do.

Finally replicated a previous measurement, so here is the rest of the pending info.

RT-4001 Harmonic Distortion

uc

RT-20051 Frequency Response, ~1W/1m, including some room reflections.
uc

RT-20051 Harmonic Distortion
uc

For those who might be interested in the RT-50021, here is a measurement I did tonight together with those depicted above. I used a modified Parts-Express H110 Horn mounted to the RT-50021 with it's faceplate removed. Huge increase in midrange output.

Blue stock, Red w/ modified Horn.
uc

Last edited:
Also just for the heck of it, I took the raw THD data from the decibel curves and converted them to percentage here. With the exception of that mechanical/electrical resonance, a pretty low distortion driver. Oh, and no filtering within the shown window. The only filter I run when running sweeps on tweeters is usually about 350Hz, so it doesn't affect these measurements.
uc

Update for this purchasing opportunity:

They were hesitant due to the small quantities involved this time around, since they're not currently in a production run for these drivers, but it seems they changed their mind about the sale (because I was able to increase the quantities), and they're simply asking me to accept that the wait-time will likely be "long".

They haven't emailed me the applicable pricing as of yet, but here are the quantities that I'm gonna ask for. If anyone else still wants in before I wire the money, please let me know. Not looking to add in other models in small-quantities as they would probably not be able to make small qty runs, but we can add in to these models that they say they'll be able to fullfill:

Hygeia Electrical Co, LTD Full-Catalog

Hygeia Electrical Co, LTD - March 2018 Order Spreadsheet

uc

Last edited:
When I ordered last time, that's what came on the invoice. I think it's because of the different faceplate that I asked for. So it's just a 5002 with a different faceplate, is my assumption.

The 5001 is the one with rounded opening half-circle top/bottom on the faceplate in all black, 5002 is straight edges on the faceplate all-black, and the 50021 is (under my assumption) the 5002 with the machined aluminum 45° bevel.

I wish I was fluent in Chinese to just call and ask in the middle of the night (when they open), but I'm not, LOL. I've been email'ing back and forth because I keep asking for clarifications and even then it sucks trying to interpret their answer that is written in English, LOL.

Last edited:
Long time in the making, but the vendor is telling me that it's all boxed up and crate'd, waiting for payment.

This is what I have "available" for pre-shipment sale from this order, if you like:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is the Hygeia catalog: Hygeia Electrical Co, LTD.

This does not include:
  • International Shipping costs
  • Any applicable US Customs fees
  • US shipping from me to you.

I plan on making payment August 1st. Shipping time I anticipate will be 6-8 weeks like my last order from them, so approximately October '18 delivery. What ever is not pre-sold I will eventually sell, but at a cost mark-up of my liking since I had to pay with my money, do all the work, etc. Serious parties just PM me if interested.

Last chance before I wire the money to the manufacturer tomorrow. Obviously it's tough to get a check/MO out to me in less than a day, but I can take Paypal only if sent as a gift. Again, those prices in my previous post are not "shipped to you" (please refer to my previously stated info from previous posts). Interested parties PM me.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Last chance before I wire the money to the manufacturer tomorrow. Obviously it's tough to get a check/MO out to me in less than a day, but I can take Paypal only if sent as a gift. Again, those prices in my previous post are not "shipped to you" (please refer to my previously stated info from previous posts). Interested parties PM me.

Did you buy directly from the factory for these prices?
If you did what was their MOQ?

Their MOQ is 100units. Yes I bought direct from the factory. They initially did not want to complete such a small order, but I guess they changed their mind. I still have these available for purchase from me, but obviously at a mark-up since in had to secure the order with my own funds. Shipping was very expensive and I had to pay USA Customs fees. Let me know how many you want of which, and we can make a deal.

Thanks. I was looking for a pair that could match 92db at 8ohm. RT-5002 is probably closest.
Have you tried them with an open baffle? an can they still operate with an open back?

At the higher prices and the shipping to Denmark it would be kind of a dubious experiment though. Not mentioning danish customs :/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.