Is anyone building an ESL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, at least someone across the pond is building something.

If things don't pick up on this side soon I may have to karma (donate) some of my old panels to the cause. I think I have three sets of 12x48 stat panels lying around gathering dust, all of them in perfect working order and one of them is a segmented welding rod panel with switch-selectable wide and narrow dispersion modes. If there's any interest......

Well, at least someone across the pond is building something.

If things don't pick up on this side soon I may have to karma (donate) some of my old panels to the cause. I think I have three sets of 12x48 stat panels lying around gathering dust, all of them in perfect working order and one of them is a segmented welding rod panel with switch-selectable wide and narrow dispersion modes. If there's any interest......

Hell yeah! I'll take it! :)

Hell yeah! I'll take it! :)

You pay the actual UPS shipping fee shipping and either pair are yours.

Understand that the panels are setup with close d/s spacing for hybrid operation above 200Hz (not recommended for full range application) and they do not include bias supplies or step up transformers.

If you agree to the above, specify which panels you want (both pairs shown below), PM me your address and I will pack them up and ship them to you ASAP.

Below: The 12x48 perf metal panels:
Photo%2B2.jpg

Below: 12x48 segmented welding rod panels:
005.JPG

They come as shown above? Or just the raw panels? Just curious as shipping would be drastically different.

LOL... the panels are shown mounted in my beam splitter speakers which I will NEVER part with. The beam splitter cabs and woofers are NOT included.

As you can see on my website I've replaced these panels with new oak lattice supported copper wire stators. And I would rather donate the older panels to someone who could use them rather than have them sitting around collecting dust.

Got it. I'm not good at picking a panel, I've heard both flat and curved types and like them both.

Any idea on shipping costs to 92844?

I could only guess. The last amplifier I bought off Ebay cost about $45 but the panels don't weight nearly that much as a 250w/channel amp. So I would guess under $45 and I will have to buy a box to pack them in. Still; that's a bit less than the $450 it cost me to build those welding rod panels.

narkotic, you still running your Apogee's, like to hear about a sound comparison :) Al

Is that THE Al, from the old audioworld Apogee forums? Damn dude!

They're sitting in the garage waiting for a larger room and amplifier. Tried to sell them a few times but the market is all messed up and filled with trolls with no money. Would have probably regretted it anyway.

What are you listening to these days??

Yep that's me, Still got 2 sets a Scintilla's, and a set of Grazed Diva's, and Duetta Sigs, I still prefer the stock Scintilla's overall, I think your gonna like Charlie's panels, have a feeling thier gonna be a bit more transparent than the Scins. Al

I've always loved the midrange from a proper ESL panel, for sure. Would be a fun project :) Just waiting to hear back re: shipping costs.

DAng! Wihs I'd seen this earlier as I have read everything on your site CharlieM and have drooled over your work and even thought about PM'ing you for a meet as I live in Newnan, GA and would have loved to come down and relieved you of your unborn children. My ML CLS's have developed a buzz - at least one of them has. I have done the rinse/clean thing but not without the frame so maybe haven't done enough but I am afraid that they really need to be recoated. Oh well, early bird and all that.

DAng! Wihs I'd seen this earlier as I have read everything on your site CharlieM and have drooled over your work and even thought about PM'ing you for a meet as I live in Newnan, GA and would have loved to come down and relieved you of your unborn children. My ML CLS's have developed a buzz - at least one of them has. I have done the rinse/clean thing but not without the frame so maybe haven't done enough but I am afraid that they really need to be recoated. Oh well, early bird and all that.

Thanks for the compliment on my website-- it's a labor of love and hopefully a resource for others.

The buzzing in your CLS panel may be a loose diaphragm, which washing would not help. BTW, I know that washing in water is recommend by some on the ML Owner's forum but I wouldn't recommend it for fear of corroding the contact to the bias supply.

If you find a loose area on the diaphragm you may be able to restore its tension by locally heat shrinking the diaphragm with a heat gun.

Good luck with it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.