Acoustat panel felt backing re-glueing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
please don't think I am tell you what to do....we got have fun with Acuoustats..or any ESL.....right

I am just telling you what-how the panels...interfaces...servo tube amps...seem to work togather.....to get the best-most-Big-tone we can....ok...

If I were to run one 9"with my 121 interfaces ful rang....it would cook the parts an I would get less output!

In the pic of your setup....look like you are surfing from what I had for 40 years
More great audio-speakers...than room... ....
I have a studio now I belt...
18'x40x14....with a moveable wall.......my room today is 18'x25' only one chair...
I well say the room is 70-80% of the sound...
If you don't go you wont know....
All just one mans finding
Please do tell me what to do! I am new to ESLs. I need direction. I'm stating what seems logical. Quite often that's not the reality. I don't understand how increasing amp power results in less output. I have 2 pairs or servo amps. If I drive the outer 2 panels with one amp, and the center panel with the other, I will get less output?

With 121 interface increasing panels from 2 to 4 improves load on driving amplifier because it's a capacitive load. This may be the same for dd amps guessing up to 4 panels. So might be best result using 2 amps for 6 panels per side rather than 3 amps. Oh or if you are driving 3 panels per side then 1 amp per side.
Cheers
Gn

All the talk of the Acoustat Servo OTL tube amps.......brings me back to the days when I sold my pair..... here I had, maybe the best sound I would ever get from any ESL...!
But I could not live with there shortcomsing, I well call it that....Sound so Big...So clear....so full..so rich....just sounded right.......As long as I did not over drive them...witch I did..every I time I play them......in my smaller room...with carpet on the floor....Coaches ,pic on the wall....you know like normal people...
I saw it was going to drive me nuts....this was in the 1980s...I paid $400 for the Xs with the Stock Servo tube amps....Some one made me a offer.....$2500....way back then...an got his 121 interfaces in the deal........I took it never looket back....

Now to day with the right mods...new tubes...right-better room...maybe,maybe...No
With new bias parts in 121interfaes....I can drive these panels with 60-100 tube watts
an get great sound....an also run any sand amps also...NO sound is not as good as with the OTLs.....but it works for me today....

As for running one panel with your OTL amp....I don't think it well kill the amp...I would not!......
others may have
more input....

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
All the talk of the Acoustat Servo OTL tube amps.......brings me back to the days when I sold my pair..... here I had, maybe the best sound I would ever get from any ESL...!
But I could not live with there shortcomsing, I well call it that....Sound so Big...So clear....so full..so rich....just sounded right.......As long as I did not over drive them...witch I did..every I time I play them......in my smaller room...with carpet on the floor....Coaches ,pic on the wall....you know like normal people...
I saw it was going to drive me nuts....this was in the 1980s...I paid $400 for the Xs with the Stock Servo tube amps....Some one made me a offer.....$2500....way back then...an got his 121 interfaces in the deal........I took it never looket back....

Now to day with the right mods...new tubes...right-better room...maybe,maybe...No
With new bias parts in 121interfaes....I can drive these panels with 60-100 tube watts
an get great sound....an also run any sand amps also...NO sound is not as good as with the OTLs.....but it works for me today....

As for running one panel with your OTL amp....I don't think it well kill the amp...I would not!......
others may have
more input....
My interest in using multiple amps is not because of over driving issues, but purely for sq. I don't think I'm over driving them with 105db peaks 12ft away, that's pretty loud. I have not heard any issues at this level. I love these things.

My interest in using multiple amps is not because of over driving issues, but purely for sq. I don't think I'm over driving them with 105db peaks 12ft away, that's pretty loud. I have not heard any issues at this level. I love these things.

That's great....I can only speak for my self....glad they work for you...
I do work on tube amps an tube preamps....I like driving my Acoustats with any amp....good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.