Monsoon Planars Failing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My trusty Monsoon planar speakers are failing/cutting in and out. I've used them for quite a while and moved them to a few different offices, so I knew they wouldn't last forever. I might try opening them up (don't know if that;ll break them further) to see if it's a loose wire or something, but I'm also considering a replacement.

Are there small (4"x6" ish) planar replacements I could build/add? I'm running the system off a Teac DAC/Integrated amp and have a subwoofer crossed at about 150hz, but I'm just so impressed with these little speakers that I can't go back to any traditional drivers, especially for the size!

It's ugly from a few fixes, but has worked many late nights with me.

Attachments

• IMG_7117.JPG
    IMG_7117.JPG
    482.5 KB · Views: 213
PM-9 is one of the later models and despite what I said earlier, is actually fairly straightforward to open up as it has screws and not rivets holding it together. You'll need strong hands to keep things aligned due to the strong magnetic forces, but I think you can handle it?
I opened one of mine and got it back together and still playing....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.