soldering to aluminum traces on a planar magnetic speaker soldering to aluminum traces on a planar magnetic speaker - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

soldering to aluminum traces on a planar magnetic speaker
soldering to aluminum traces on a planar magnetic speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2017, 03:22 PM   #11
alexberg is offline alexberg
diyAudio Member

Pair Al-Fe works ok, at least for power wiring. That's said clamp/pressure contact using iron washer/toothwasher should do.
Old 19th July 2017, 07:34 PM   #12
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few View Post
… I used a cotton-tipped swab soaked in the “elixir” described previously to wet the surface of the aluminum. I first tried using a syringe to form a droplet on the aluminum but that approach was problematic. The aluminum under the droplet would sometimes dissolve away during the soldering process, and when it didn’t, it seemed to result in joints that failed days or weeks later. It’s better just to dampen the surface of the aluminum but not leave a droplet…
Thanks for sharing your Aluminum soldering method. I haven’t experimented much with soldering to thin ribbons or tapes, deciding just to use mechanical clamp type contacts. However I did build a few ESLs using perforated aluminum sheets. The technique I wound up having consistently good luck with was the mechanical scraping under solder blob described in another thread here: Soldering Aluminium
Obviously NOT something easily adaptable for connections to thin aluminum tape on mylar/kapton.

Your mention of the “elixir” dissolving the aluminum has me wondering if there will be corrosion or failure over time.
Do you clean the joint after soldering to remove all remnants of flux or “elixir”?
Old 19th July 2017, 07:39 PM   #13
bolserst is offline bolserst  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post
it's pretty simple to electroplate copper onto aluminum (@ room temps no less!), and then solder to the copper (gold, silver, etc.,) layer that is metallurgically bonded.
But hi-fiers seem to revel at making life difficult
I certainly don’t like to make things difficult or any more complicated than necessary. However I was never able to produce strong joints, or joints that lasted for that matter, using electroplating on perforated aluminum. Note that I am not saying it can’t be done, only that I was unable to do it with my limited experience and knowledge of the process. As with many things, I’m sure it’s as much an art as a science. So, once you have it figured out and can produce consistently good results, you can’t understand why anybody would use any other method.

Based on your experience, would you mind sharing more details on the exact chemicals(brands and sources would be great) and steps you would use for the brush plating technique you mentioned?

Are the kits and chemicals sold here a good way to start out?
Plug N' Plate(R) Acid Copper Kit - Caswell Inc
Zincate - 8 fl oz - Caswell Inc

If not, can you suggest alternative sources?
Thanks in advance…
Old 20th July 2017, 01:37 PM   #14
alexberg is offline alexberg
diyAudio Member

The reliable way is ultrasound welding of aluminum bondwire in semiconductors. If you want to have fun then duplicate industrial method: US1627900

soldering to aluminum traces on a planar magnetic speakerHide this!Advertise here!