How it is made - mbl edition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pretty good video although the BS content was unacceptably high.*

Where can we see performance specs for that speaker?

So..... you take a driver motor and instead of reasonably well behaved cardboard cone you attach a fantastic heap of junk of various kinds and vibrate it Seems odd.

B.
*a mounting plate was made of brass because of the wonderful acoustic properties of brass. The various bits and pieces were selected for their complementary acoustic properties.... and so on.

Pretty good video although the BS content was unacceptably high.*

Where can we see performance specs for that speaker?

So..... you take a driver motor and instead of reasonably well behaved cardboard cone you attach a fantastic heap of junk of various kinds and vibrate it Seems odd.

B.
*a mounting plate was made of brass because of the wonderful acoustic properties of brass. The various bits and pieces were selected for their complementary acoustic properties.... and so on.

Seriously, have you ever HEARD these speakers? MBL's sound orders of magnitude better than any "reasonably well behaved cardboard cone" speaker I've ever heard, or any "exotic" planar for that matter. The MBL room at any hifi show is always packed, which works out fine, because they sound fantastic (and shockingly real) from anywhere in the room. I know this is an old cliche, but MBL's don't sound like speakers, they sound like live music.

The MBL room at any hifi show is always packed, which works out fine, because they sound fantastic (and shockingly real) from anywhere in the room. I know this is an old cliche, but MBL's don't sound like speakers, they sound like live music.

The fact that your reply to my request for evidence is all puffery suggests that the measurements are lousy.

Am I right?

And I wonder if you have any personal or commercial interest in these speakers?

B.

The fact that your reply to my request for evidence is all puffery suggests that the measurements are lousy.

Am I right?

And I wonder if you have any personal or commercial interest in these speakers?

B.

I am so busted! Yes, I'm the sole owner MBL which I operate out of my mother's basement here in Atlanta. Your deductive reasoning skills are simply astonishing.

I am starting from the notion that the design is absolutely crackpot. It shoves various tinny metal and non-metal pieces all over the place in funny ways and everything rubs against all kinds of non-linear behaving other bits. Compare that to the Rice-Kellogg model developed over 100 years of linearizing the elements of endless plodding research (and I'm no fan of that old template).

But I await seeing some measurements to convince me otherwise.

As a fan of dipoles and multi-directional speakers, I think you can earn a lot of favourable reaction for the room-filling sound of a speaker in-the-round... even if the sound of that crackpot mechanism would raise howls of laughter otherwise (just like the old Bose speakers).

But I await seeing the measurements...

B.

Last edited:
I am starting from the notion that the design is absolutely crackpot. It shoves various tinny metal and non-metal pieces all over the place in funny ways and everything rubs against all kinds of non-linear behaving other bits. Compare that to the Rice-Kellogg model developed over 100 years of linearizing the elements of endless plodding research (and I'm no fan of that old template).

As a fan of dipoles and multi-directional speakers, I think you can earn a lot of favourable reaction for the room-filling sound of a speaker in-the-round... even if the sound of that crackpot mechanism would raise howls of laughter otherwise (just like the old Bose speakers).

But I await seeing the measurements...

B.

It is very funny, as these comments are almost exactly the same as the comments from the audio community, when MbL first appeared with their 101 model.
But then after more and more of the critics actually heard the speakers, these comments disappeared and MbL has ever since been recognised as one of the leaders in truly High End speaker manufacturing.

"The entire MBL Reference experience can be yours for just under a half a million U.S. dollars. Remember you’ll need $263,000 for the speakers, plus $166,600 or $212,000 for the MBL Reference amplifiers, although you could use (or try them out) with any audiophile-grade high-power amplifier."

Ok....well I have head these speakers... fun to dream for some.. I guess..but there a lot to chose from at that price point....Looks like the 100 million dollars club well be the people for these....or I guess you can diy a pr...
I think this type of money puts most off...vary hard for most,me to see it...
Bose has always sound weird to me...like a lot of speakers...good luck

I am starting from the notion that the design is absolutely crackpot.

The design is absolutely logical.
Very smooth from lows to 10 kHz:
Mbl1010fig3.jpg
Subjectively, the same - very neutral. I have opportunity to listen to it ones - good sound but too much expensive. But someone will purchase it just for the look!

That's it? A scruffy excessively-averaged freq response (showing numerous high-Q resonances at all points on the spectrum) collected by who-knows-what method and that looks like somebody photographed it from a sales brochure? No THD?
Pretty shoddy evidence.
B.
Measuring method is known to all regular and not-so-regular readers of Stereophile magazine: "farfield response at 50" averaged across a 30° horizontal window centered on the tweeter axis."
Nothing excessively here, especially in a view that this is a truly omnidirectional loudspeaker, so averaging across 30° horizontal window will be essentially the same as a single measurement spot on the axis.
Where on earth do you see high-Q resonances (except at 13 kHz)? Maybe waterfall diagram will calm your eyes:
Mbl1010fig7.jpg
See - no resonances at all. Pretty superb evidence.
No THD measurements, sorry. But as I said, I had opportunity to listen to them (without knowing the above measurements) - smooth, neutral and natural sound.

Last edited:
It is apparent he is not familiar with what many consider to be an iconic and legendary product.

It is apparent that nobody posting supportive remarks in this thread has explicitly acknowledged or denied commercial relationship to this product. Or for that matter being an owner.

It is also apparent that trying to get reputable data on this device is like pulling teeth.

It is also very obvious that this product and the way it is presented reeks of Gwenyth Paltrow* unscientific silliness.

But as Cal suggests, many of us (me too) are curious about any new speaker, even one promoted as suspiciously as this one. So, doubtful as I am, I'd like to see evidence.

More evidence, please.**

B.
*that's a synonym for unmitigated crackpot nonsense esp. if made astonishingly expensive if only for illusory promotional purposes
** I read there is no THD data (even though there are trick waterfall pictures). Gimme a break... wow, does that smell bad! And THD can be measured in any environment and for any kind of speaker without disputes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.