How it is made - mbl edition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is apparent that nobody posting supportive remarks in this thread has explicitly acknowledged or denied commercial relationship to this product. Or for that matter being an owner.

It is also apparent that trying to get reputable data on this device is like pulling teeth.

It is also very obvious that this product and the way it is presented reeks of Gwenyth Paltrow* unscientific silliness.

But as Cal suggests, many of us (me too) are curious about any new speaker, even one promoted as suspiciously as this one. So, doubtful as I am, I'd like to see evidence.

More evidence, please.**

B.
*that's a synonym for unmitigated crackpot nonsense esp. if made astonishingly expensive if only for illusory promotional purposes
** I read there is no THD data (even though there are trick waterfall pictures). Gimme a break... wow, does that smell bad! And THD can be measured in any environment and for any kind of speaker without disputes.
New speaker ????

Are you kidding???
These have been around for a very long time. Please make some investigations on this company..

I am not an owner (wish I was) I have no commercial interest in the company. I have , on the other hand heard them a lot of times. Heard them on several occasions , both at CES and other exebitions and privately, and I can tell you they are something special. Mostly when you get to hear them at a dedicated audiophile privately as exhibitions almost always are far from optimal locations.

May be just one Real MBL speaker owner... could give some input.....
Right this is a Diy site...all full of ideas, dreams an wishes..all good things
Remember you’ll need $263,000 for just the speakers!.....
If I were sold these speaker it would because I heard them an like the sound.
The Speakers measurements wont make or brake the sale.
Or maybe just like the look, after all it just money right?
Have fun on 4th...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
No one participating in this thread has anything to do with MBL. Magnasanti is our resident diy expert on this technology and has managed to figure out how they work, and has built himself some pretty fascinating clones over the past few years. You might want to read his thread.

Personally not my favorite speaker systems at most shows where I have heard it. They have been a fixture at every single high end audio show I have attended since 1990.

You can start here: http://www.mbl-northamerica.com/ or http://www.mbl.de/?lang=en

Doing some research prior to posting the sort of baseless comments you've made here would save you a lot of embarrassment down the road.

More evidence, please.**
** I read there is no THD data (even though there are trick waterfall pictures). Gimme a break... wow, does that smell bad! And THD can be measured in any environment and for any kind of speaker without disputes.
Could you please elaborate which trick is used in the posted waterfall diagram?
THD can be measured but Stereophile never do that, which is pity, by the way. German Stereoplay magazine do measure THD at various SPL levels, but I don't know if the MBL loudspeaker was reviewed there. Maybe our friends from Germany can shed some light here?

Could you please elaborate which trick is used in the posted waterfall diagram?
THD can be measured but Stereophile never do that, which is pity, by the way. German Stereoplay magazine do measure THD at various SPL levels...
My bad for using colloquialism. "Trick" often now means "fancy" or "sophicated" not in the sense of "trickery".

I should have added that anybody can use honourware REW software on their laptop and using the free built-in mic, do fully credible THD measurements anywhere any time.

Multi-directional speakers are wonderful in several respects. No wonder there are (albeit just a handful) of favourable reviews on the web. Different folks attend to different parameters. Along with Toole, I put a premium on ambience. I'd probably like that particular feature in these speakers.

Of course, as an ESL partisan like many on this sub-forum, I put a really high value on cleanliness. Ummmm?

I noticed there is at least one kindergarten-level mistake in the glowing Stereophile review (which oddly had no THD measurements). He says with these speakers the sound (which starts off in all directions from the speaker) comes to your ears the same from all directions. Almost everybody knows that's nonsense because all kinds of factors affect what bounces back at you from the rear and side walls of your room*.

B.
*anechoic chambers excepted

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's really not hard to hear them. As has been mentioned, they are present at many audio shows. I've heard them twice at Rocky Mountain. First time they didn't make much of an impression. Second time, in a bigger room, they sounded very good. Especially surprising since I didn't expect much.

While I agree the whole thing seems over complicated, it does work, and work well. When I watch a documentary about a subject I know about, I get ready to cringe at all the misinformation I'm about to hear! In this case there are some absolutely incorrect statements but less than most!

Like many loudspeakers, they appear to excel with certain types of music. Large ensembles such as orchestras seem to be their strength, which is logical.

It really is kinda silly to comment on some piece of equipment, especially in such a belligerent way without hearing it!

I have no connection to Mbl

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.