Accuton????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had a look at Accuton's design and specs, esp their lower-frequency drivers. Can't say I've ever seen drivers that got so many factors right, for example very low cone weight, high relative BL, and low Q. Very impressive engineering, even if justifiably expensive.

Otherwise, don't know to comment.

....saw some tests by Linkwitz.... did poorly...

B.

Last edited:
Had a look at Accuton's design and specs, esp their lower-frequency drivers. Can't say I've ever seen drivers that got so many factors right, for example very low cone weight, high relative BL, and low Q. Very impressive engineering, even if justifiably expensive.

Otherwise, don't know to comment.

....saw some tests by Linkwitz.... did poorly...

B.

Link to Linkwitz tests?

Link to Linkwitz tests?
Midrange distortion test

He tested Accuton units among a whole bunch of other drivers, and gave them very low ratings. Hard to say how relevant to the units of interest in this thread or the low-range units I salivated over.

Poorly rated perhaps due to his personal methods of evaluation and rating priorities, using them out of their best range or loudness, etc. Given the great design of some of their units I looked at, seemed inexplicable to me.

B.

Yea the energy storage thing between 500 and 1.5 khz I think has some merit.

I find with a ribbon I developed that once you can cross over as low as 500 to the tweeter its very easy to get magic with almost any half decent cone of 8 inch or less diam..
Once you move the crossover up over about 1.2khz it gets much harder and even when a good FR is obtained you simply cannot avoid the coloration

Yea the energy storage thing between 500 and 1.5 khz I think has some merit.

I find with a ribbon I developed that once you can cross over as low as 500 to the tweeter its very easy to get magic with almost any half decent cone of 8 inch or less diam..
Once you move the crossover up over about 1.2khz it gets much harder and even when a good FR is obtained you simply cannot avoid the coloration
All good points. On the sub forum is a thread about a poor fellow who "painted himself into a corner" and now needs a speaker to cover 60-300 Hz. That's terrible for many reasons. So choosing the right cover-the-whole-middle well is important.

That "energy storage" issue is a basic matter, usually kept secret in the sub forum where folks talk about the euphemism "group delay" which really means resonance ringing. But as lowness says, should not be overlooked in choosing the best upper range driver too, as Linkwitz shows.

Anybody know why Linkwitz rates the mid-range Accutron so low?

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.