Monsoon - Surprisingly Good!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a lot of them years ago when Monsoon went out of business and the remaining stock started turning up at surplus dealers…When you measured the MM700 was the driver out of the Plastic grill/stand? Also was the felt damping on the back of the driver in place?
Nice acquisition! :up:

Measurements were made with the “naked” driver mounted to a slender stick.
I did this for my own selfish reasons to make comparison with BTM diffraction theory easier.

The only felt damping I noticed was a thin layer mounted to the rear magnets. Is that what you were talking about?
Or, do some versions have some additional felt between the driver and the rear grill.

The thin felt made surprisingly little difference to the HF response as the front .vs. rear response comparison plot shows.
I also attached a near field measurement showing two diaphragm resonance modes that I thought you might find interesting.

Attachments

• Monsson_M700_front_vs_rear.png
    Monsson_M700_front_vs_rear.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Monsson_M700_NF_resonance.png
    Monsson_M700_NF_resonance.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 294
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just so everyone knows there a three different types of Monsoon driver in this general configuration. The first generation is in the MM-1000 , the second in the MM-700 ( straight sides) and the third in the MM-702 (wavy sides) this is the version that VMPS used in their speakers.
Andrew
Add the MH-502 and the PM-9, and that makes 5 versions.
I think both of these use non-plated magnets, so should not have a problem with corrosion of plating leading to buzzing. PM-9 is also held together with screws for simple disassembly if needed.

I have recently acquired a pair of PM-9 and looking at redesigning the accompanying bass section for them.

Thanks Bolserst for the curves!

Attachments

• Monsoon MH-502.jpg
    Monsoon MH-502.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 236
  • PM-9_planar_front.jpg
    PM-9_planar_front.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 233
I am not surprised that your manners are as poor as your knowledge of hearing. You mistake average hearing for individual hearing under your urge to be disparaging.

And you don't seem to know anything about the frequency range of musical instruments.

B.

I worked at the bioacoustics lab at the University of Pittsburgh for several years, researching, among other things, presbycusis (age related hearing loss). Typical loss at 6,000 Hz in an 80 year old is around 40 dB, higher if you've worked in a noisy environment. I assumed you were in this age range from a signature, "HiFi aspirations since 1957."

As to the frequency range of instruments, it is common knowlege in the recording industry, (where I've also worked) than many instruments extend well past 20K, let alone 6K. Muted trumpets put out strong energy out to 80K, as anyone who has mastered a record knows. Lowmass, here's an informative article on the range of musical instruments: There's life above 20 kilohertz! A survey of musical instrument spectra to 102.4 kHz
As you can see, there's a lot up there!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.